Which IDE do you recommend?

(Philip Wattis) #1

I use Eclipse more than anything else, which this morning decided it wasn’t going to load anymore.

After spending over an hour uninstalling an re-installing, I’ve managed to get it working again.

I’m mainly doing web development (PHP/JS/HTML/CSS). Is Eclipse a good choice (I know it’s pretty much an industry standard), or are there others you might recommend - maybe something that isn’t as slow and clunky as Eclipse?

(Stuart Langridge) #2

I like Sublime Text, myself, but that’s an editor rather than an IDE (although there is a continuum between the two types). Sublime vs. PHPStorm has some further discussion on PHPStorm and editors…

(Daniel Hollands) #3

We’ve had discussions similar to this, and even discussed which colours people prefer, but I don’t think we’ve had any discussions about the pros and cons of individual IDEs :computer:

Right now I’m a huge fan of anything by JetBrains. I use PHPStorm, RubyMine and WebStorm for PHP, Ruby and JavaScript-only projects, accordingly.

All the features of WebStorm are baked into PHPStorm and RubyMine, so for you, as someone that does some PHP, you’re able to just use PHPStorm for everything. Of course they’re not free, but I think they’re totally worth the price of admission.

The only other IDE I’ve used is the PHP edition of Netbeans, but I’ve not touched it in years (not since I discovered PHPStorm). It was very good for something that’s free and open source, but I’ve found that JetBrains’ products have been able to adapt to new technologies, and therefore add new features, much quicker.

I can’t talk to any degree about Eclipse. I’ve used it once or twice, but found that I didn’t like it. I used to work with someone that used Eclipse, but once I showed him PHPStorm, he switched.

I hope this helps?

(Philip Wattis) #4

Thx, I’ll give PHPStorm a closer look.

(Ria Blagburn) #5

I’m not a coder, but I do need an IDE for (mostly) making text edits. I use Netbeans and have only ever had one tiny issue with it (which turned out to be my fault) - no idea if it would do what you need it to, but I do rate it!

(Andy Wootton) #6

This question is very timely for me. I haven’t even decided what language I want to code in but was a bit shocked that there seems to be a different IDE for each language. I’d like to use the same tool whatever language I’m using but I’m a bit scared of Eclipse. It seems to be a monster that people are afraid to touch, completely nullifying it’s component architecture. Google were using it for Android so I installed it but they’ve just switched horses. I was then trying to find a UML tool. There were several. I had no idea if they were any good or how to install them on top of Big G’s custom install.

At Java club, I was advised to avoid IDEs, so I actually learned how things work. My brief experience of using Visual Studio with C# was that it ‘did things’ without me knowing. I hated it. Oracle highly recommend NetBeans but they would, wouldn’t they?

I would like to write entry-level DocBook XML too so would like a Free editor than is XML-dialect grammar aware.

(Steve Heyes) #7

PHPStorm is the best IDE I’ve come across. You can customise it to get almost as slimline as Sublime or something similar and it has aways additions: Grunt, Gulp, TDD etc.

I was hesitant to move away from Sublime, but actually after a month or so I wouldn’t go back. The features add load of benefits without the bloat of a massive IDE. I still open Sublime for quick edits to be fair, but thats more for speed of loading the program for one file.

So yeah, PHPStorm rocks. There is a whole free section on Laracasts called “Be Awesome in PHPStorm” which is pretty cool too - https://laracasts.com/series/how-to-be-awesome-in-phpstorm

(Ben Paddock) #8

I also use the Jetbrains suite as I like the plugin and play, relatively little setup time. The downside to this kind of IDE is it’s a memory hog and uses file indexing extensively, which can sometimes cause things to slow right down.

I like using Sublime Text as a lightweight alternative. I’m also looking at Vim - using it reminds me of the Star Wars scene where Luke is in the swamp and Yoda is teaching him to lift the X-wing out of the swamp. It seems a steep learning curve but can lead to great mastery.

(Nadeem Shabir) #9

I’ve been using the Jetbrain’s IDE for almost a decade now … even contributed ideas, plugins to it back when they were first getting started. I’ve seen it morph into a platform that now supports plugins for most popular languages and I still love it. It’s incredibly customisable but for me the code indexing and refactoring capabilities have always felt better than Eclipse/Netbeans etc. These days I use it mostly for Php and Javascript (via the NodeJs plugin).

When I just want an editor I tend to use either Sublime or VIM.

(Andy Wootton) #10

Has anyone looked at Eclipse Orion? It appears to be a completely new codebase for Cloud-based development. http://eclipse.org/orion/

It has an Orion Hub https://orionhub.org or you can get a copy from GitHub and run your own service.

e.g. There is a MarkDown editor. http://planetorion.org/news/2015/01/whats-new-in-orions-markdown-editor/

(Daniel Hollands) #11

If we’re talking cloud IDEs, then my favourite is Cloud 9. Being inside an Ubunutu VM means It has built in support for PHP, Python, Ruby, Node, et al, and makes working collaboratively with people super simple.

I’ve not used the IDE part of it extensively, and have no idea what it’s debugging features are like, but what I have used it for has worked well.

This is the first I’ve heard of Orion, I’ll give it a spin.

(Andy Wootton) #12

I carried on reading for a while after my last post. The Firefox Scratchpad and parts of GitHub are Orion components.

The cheapest adequate option always wins a technology war: mainframes -> minis + X workstations -> PCs + file servers -> Cloud + browser box. The winner of the last war never sees the danger. This time there is mobile too, split between IOS & Android.

The battle lines are being drawn while Microsoft and Apple are sleeping. We have Chrome OS as the likely future Empire but there is a Rebel Alliance forming from the Linux kernel, Mozilla Firefox OS, Apache, Eclipse & non-Google Cloud services. As ever, all we need to do is support the most open vendors, not the ones handing out the free addictive drugs that make us feel good.

(Philip Wattis) #13

I’ll be interested to hear whether net lag causes any frustrations with Orion.

I’m using Eclipse Luna, editing files directly on a local LAMP server using Samba to map a windows drive, and sometimes it grinds, although I think it may be more down to Java overheads than net lag.

(Andy Wootton) #14

Windows PC with Eclipse onto Linux Samba file store? Have you tried copying the files to a local drive to identify if Samba is the problem?

They are still working on integration with local Eclipse apps. I haven’t got my head around what that means yet.

(Philip Wattis) #15

Andy,

I could try that, although I do worry about how my lowly laptop would cope running WAMP and Eclipse at the same time. Eclipse does seem to be a resource drainer.

Maybe the ‘local Eclipse apps’ are something like where it will emulate an Android device to test your code on? Not sure what else it might be referring to.

(Andy Wootton) #16

I didn’t mean to move WAMP, just to edit from local files. Maybe I’m underestimating the complexity of your build process. What is slow?

(Philip Wattis) #17

I don’t have a ‘build cylce’ as such because none of the languages I am using are compiled (PHP, JavaScript and a bit of bash).

I could edit the files locally, but then I’d have to copy them onto the LAMP server to test them. This would increase my development time by a factor of many.

I think the slowness is being cause by a combination of net lag and Eclipse. There seems to be something about using Eclipse to edit remote files which can, maybe 5% of the time, cause it to appear to be doing very little while I’m waiting for a recent change to be saved, maybe lasting several seconds or more. This can also rear its ugly head when clicking file tabs within Eclipse. The other 95% of the time, such activity is quick enough to appear instant, which is why I tolerate it.

I’m assuming this is caused by something specifically related to the fact I’m editing remote files, but I’ve never used Eclipse on local files, so I could be wrong.

(Stuart Langridge) #20

Aren’t you affiliated with them? That’s OK, but you ought to mention it if so :slight_smile: