Anyone that’s been paying attention might have noticed some changes to the logo and the top bar here on the forum, so I just wanted to take a moment to explain what’s going on.
One of the issues I’ve had with the community is that of making it look good. Discourse itself ain’t to shabby out of the box, but there are clearly some improvements and personalisations which can be made. As discussed elsewhere, I’m no designer, so I’ve been making it up as I go along, with what I hope has been a gradual change for the better over time.
Thankfully a couple of months ago, @pburrows very generously donated some of Blue Cube’s time and had his designer, Andy Roberts (I don’t think he’s a member here), mock up some designs. After a bit of a back and forth, and discussions over things like the logo and colours, we ended up with these.
Some points of note:
- The multi-coloured logo is back.
- The font in the logo has changed (it no longer says Birmingham ten, @sil).
- The capitalisation in the text of the logo has gone (it is a website address after all)
- Each project in the network has it’s own colour. These are subject to change, but right now they’re:
- Network home: #FF5C43
- Community: #2B668F
- Calendar: #C8D32F
- Birmingham Freelancers: #00B9FF
- Planet Birmingham: #69368F
- as well as some colours to spare for future things.
Now that I have something to work to, the changes you’re seeing on the forum (and eventually on all the project sites as well, starting with Planet Birmingham and the Birmingham Freelancers) are the first step towards making the mocked up designs a reality.
Right now I’m exploring the idea of using Semantic UI as a base for a compiled CSS file hosted on a CDN (possibly github pages) which will provide a common style for all projects in the network, but as with most things I’m doing right now, this is subject to change. Oh, and its also possible that the end result may look slightly different to what was designed (sorry Andy).
Anyway, if you’re interested in following along with what I’m doing, I’ve got an assets repo on GitHub, so feel free to take a look.