What is your front end framework of choice?

(Daniel Hollands) #1

I’m keen on hearing from people what their front end framework of choice is, and why?.

(I’m talking from a CSS/HTML/UI perspective here, not Angular/Ember, etc.)

I’m expecting that a lot of people will say either Bootstrap or Foundation, and these are certainly both valid options with a lot of support (so please do let me know if this is your answer), but I’m also interested in some of the lesser known options such as Pure.css, Semantic UI, UI Kit, and the many others that I’ve probably not even heard of.

What is it about that framework in particular that you like?

Cheers :wrench:

Review my Project Please
(Daveyon Mayne) #2

I’m a Foundation fan boy and I like it a lot! I’m not so much into Bootstrap for no reasons to say, though, I’ve recently been looking at Semantic UI and so far I have found it eye catching.

I like Foundation because it was love at first sight and we just can’t explain that lol.

(Michael Brett) #3

I’m not sold on any particular one of them over any of the others, really

I like to pick and choose between the partials of different frameworks - that way you can use exactly what you need, and eliminate as much of the crazy bloat as possible that comes with some of the bigger frameworks.

Stuart Robson gave a great presentation about doing just this.

(Will Grant) #4

Big Bootstrap fan here.

I am a usability/HCI purist and I love the simplicity.

It has excellent cross-device compatibility / graceful degradation.

It includes design refinements and research worth (probably) many millions of dollars from Twitter over the years.

Users know instantly how to use the controls.

When I was in my 20s, I was all about ‘leaving my stamp’ on a product with a custom UI - now, I recognise the best thing I can possibly do as a designer is get out of users’ way and give them familiarity.

(Ben Paddock) #5

I’ve only used bootstrap and I wish my brain would stop automatically picking it. It’s divs all the way down…

Going off in an ever-so-slight tangent. I’m interested to see how web components pan out. I prefer thinking in small building blocks working up to something bigger. With these kinds of frameworks, it starts the other way round and you will eventually pick apart things.

(Daniel Newns) #6

ive used bootstrap before wasnt a fan of the div soup, im currently using semantic ui on a project and I must admit i like it quite a lot.

(Colin Smith) #7

I’ve had Twitter Bootstrap foisted on me at work and although there are some good and handy aspects to it I’ve found that most of my front-end battles have been bootstrap related particularly with respect to the grid system. I’m a big proponent of keeping things simple and under total control and so out of choice I wouldn’t be using a front-end framework at all.

(Daniel Hollands) #8

To throw my own 2-cents into the fray, out of the big two, I prefer Foundation - I just think that the markup needed for Foundation is much tidier than Bootstrap, and I like a few of it’s other features.

(Up until recently - hence the point of this topic) I’ve always opted to use Foundation for my own projects, but have to use Bootstrap at work.

Out of the others - I’ve spent some time playing with both Semantic UI and UI Kit, but I’ve not used them in anger.

Keep em coming - maybe someone has written their own (something I’ve done using components such as Bourbon)?

(Michael Brett) #9

Saw this on EchoJS today. Web components as an alternative to React (et al). Worth a read.

(Marc Jenkins) #10

I prefer to use my own framework, Origin: https://github.com/marcjenkins/origin

I regularly poke under the hood of Bootstrap, Foundation, Inuit, etc. to find out best practices but ultimately I like to make decisions about how things should work. It makes debugging easier too since I know how everything is pieced together.

Also, I prefer frameworks that don’t come with any design assumptions. Bootstrap is more than a framework imo, it’s more of a component library. My own framework doesn’t come with any design decisions so that I can make it look however I want (I know you can do this with Bootstrap, but most sites built with Bootstrap look like they’re built with Bootstrap).

(Daniel Hollands) #11

I figured I’d pop back and mention that I’ve just started a new project, and that I’ve chosen to use Bourbon as it’s base.

I’m not sure that Bourbon by itself fits into the same hole as the tools listed above, but when you combine it with Neat, Bitters and Refills, it starts to look a lot more like them, and offers more tools.

I used to use Bourbon for everything, but this got pushed out by Compass, which in turn got pushed out by Foundation.

I’ll see how I get on with Bourbon this time around, and once the project is over I’ll report back.

(Andy Wootton) #12

Tmux & vi ?

(Daniel Hollands) #13

I’m not sure how this is related? :confused:

(Andy Henson) #14

A common setup is to run tmux so you can have e.g. split panes in a single terminal window which you can then be running vi/vim in - one of the advantages of using tmux like this to a remote server is that several people can be connected as tmux clients so you can all share and control the editor on the remote box. Makes for an easy remote pairing solution.

(Andy Wootton) #15

Yes, that! @paulspencerwilliams demoed a 3 pane vi session that looked just like an IDE. Editing tests in one, Clojure code in another and an auto test-runner dynamically showing whether the tests were currently passing.

(Sorry, I’ve just realised I added this to the wrong discussion. I thought it was the one on IDEs)

(Daveyon Mayne) #16

I myself is digging more in web development and there a lot for frameworks out there. I still dont understand the need for the vast majority. I thought Angular was the “boss” in js framework, but I know React was not that great; so I heard. I am still exploring but Angular is great so far.

(Michael Brett) #17

This just popped up in my feedly: Primer - GitHub’s CSS toolkit and guidelines. Worth a look…

(Nick Banford) #18

Really?? I think react is pretty awesome so far. Ok so it’s not the native web components we will eventually get. But it’s a pretty good stop gap and fast to develop with for now.

For my style framework, we use a custom branding framework built on top of Compass using Sass. It’s built on top of PureCSS to provide a baseline nice set of styles. Then we just build custom Sass for the modules we need for our apps.

It means that rolling a new product can be as easy as creating a new theme with the variable:

$brand-color: red;

for example.

Basically the point of it is that we just wanted consistent and maintainable styles. So we just install this with bower and hit the ground running.

The reason we don’t use bootstrap/foundation etc… both great frameworks but they provide much more than we actually need.

(Daveyon Mayne) #19

It was just something that I read awhile back about Facebook’s ReactJs. It can up when I trying to choose between AngularJs and MeteorJs. Most people are saying Meteor is faster than rails.

(Andy Wootton) #20

From @devbattles in Ukraine