I registered on LiveCoding.tv a while ago, and I’ve been thinking about starting to stream on there (I’ve also registered on Code Mentor - part of me wants to get a bit more self-derived income generation!).
Now, I don’t know whether I’ve missed something, because I’ve been looking at lots of other feeds and I’ve yet to find any stream that looks remotely professional! (I’m trying not to be judgemental!) Examples:…
- Streaming with loud techno/dubstep/rap playing in background
- The presenter gives no “internal monologue” of their decision making or how they’re using the application. It’s just 5 minutes of silence then they say “this doesn’t work” then five minutes more of silence then “okay it works now”
- 50 tabs and 20 applications open, the desktop is super-busy visually.
- They’ve left the editor font size too small (or it’s a bad typeface).
- If they’re visible via their webcam
- I could not care less what your RAM/CPU usage is - get your system dashboard off the screen!
- Unmade bed in the background!
- Overlays of Github/personal website URL on the screen
- I’m not a vim-god, but the amount of mouse-clicking and lack of IDE shortcut usage is annoying.
- I’ve yet to see anyone make a commit into source control (but then I am scanning through some of these videos)
- At least make the editor full screen and not half off the viewport!
- Dropping the F-bomb frequently (i.e. London-levels of F-bombing)
- Do any of you have some examples of good live coders?
- Are there other sites apart from LiveCoding.tv that have better presenters?