University Student Interested in Making Contacts

(Ian) #1

Hello all!

I recently started university last month and thus far I am trying to take advantage of all the opportunities provided to me. For example, I started Immersive labs earlier this week to learn cyber security and pentesting skills.

I am looking to meet professionals in the area so that I may build contacts, skills, and my portfolio. I am very raw in my skills and I am looking for as many opportunities to improve.

If you read this have a great day!

(Jon) #2

Hello Ian and welcome to the forum :smiley:

There’s events to come to (see the Calendar thing above) and also feel free to join the Slack channel (also above). There’s a widget you can click on to get an invite.

In my view, a portfolio is an excellent way to show your skills in lieu of commercial experience. Security skills are in demand, but are probably a bit harder to show than just building something (though undoubtedly you could build something and then present a security analysis on it). So if you have some ideas for things you want to make (mobile app, web app, etc) then try a small one, blog about it, put stuff on GitHub, etc.

I still do side projects even though I’ve been in the industry for a while, and it still helps at interview.

(Andy Wootton) #3

Welcome. Is the “Js” in your ID for JavaScript? There’s a Meetup tomorrow.