To Do Lists/Apps

(Andy Wootton) #21

Along with the Lean thinking of Kanban goes the minimisation of work in progress, so why are people working on multiple projects at the same time? If tasks from all ‘projects’ are prioritised together, are they really seperate?

If you are getting into wanting things to be together, separate and sorted by when they came into play, when they are needed and how important they are, all at the same time then an automated white-board may not cut it. Intertwingulatrity is noboby’s friend.

Trello’s conceptual model is a list of lists, manually sorted.

[After-thought: can you get at Trello’s data? My Freemind mind-mapping tool stores XML which you could hack to give reports]

(Andrew Bowyer) #22

Thanks Andy.

I’m not talking about multiple projects per person (although that is often the reality of agency life!), I’m talking about a summary view across multiple projects to help with visibility or what’s in the team, what’s happening when, and what extra resource I may need to book.

Eg, one approach may be to have a board of days of the week then in each day, raise a card for each task to be done, linking to the original card in the original project board. Sounds clunky.

I know it’s a little counter to the point of Trello but I’m interested to hear if anyone has an elegant way that they schedule the work happening across multiple boards within the one tool.

(Andy Wootton) #23

You could make a suggestion to add linked ‘shadow’ cards to Trello. They seem to like adding new features.

Sadly, I think there is a fundamental problem with using a simple tool to meet a complex requirement. Scheduling work and scheduling time and resources are clearly linked but I don’t think Microsoft has worked out how to make Project and Outlook work together yet. I think it may be hard, if you don’t get the initial architecture right.

(Andrew Bowyer) #24

I agree. I keep reminding myself that Trello is for managing tasks, not more. Having said that, it feels so close and drag-n-drop-ability works so well with scheduling. I shall continue to play with it but if anyone has any other thoughts on how their scheduling and Trello work together I’m all ears!

(Iain Woolley) #25

Another vote for Trello. I use it for a wide range of activities, from project tasks to my packing list for motorbike trips. I like the simplicity of it, especially the drag-n-drop-ability.

For scheduling you might want to check out Asana. It is more team oriented, than a tool for individuals, and it is more complex to use than Trello.

Iain

(Daniel Hollands) #26

I used to use Asana. I’ve not touched it in years, but I remember it being a bit of a poor man’s Basecamp. In the end I abandoned it for Basecamp (which in turn got abandoned for Trello). No idea what it’s like these days.

(Marc Cooper) #27

Trello’s not a project management tool; it’s a workflow tool. That’s why a lot of big orgs move to Jira. Unless you are engaged with the work flowing through Trello, then it’s difficult to understand what’s going on in detail (because it’s not intended to do that).

(Well, you could add lots of columns to indicate state and ask folk to move cards on every state change, but they’ll hate you for it :wink: )

You can’t schedule in Trello per se other than ordering tasks, which is what it’s very good at.

If you are set on “managing” “resource” allocation – I suspect you mean team members – then you could measure (sprint) done points pro rated against velocity and react as you feel is necessary. (Presuming you are using scrum.)

If you need to “manage” a project against some productivity measure, then Trello is a poor choice (as is Scrum and various kanban approaches).

However, if you want lots of stats and diagram, then take a look at https://ollertapp.com/ It unearths quite a lot of the hidden detail in Trello, although it can mislead, because folk don’t use Trello in the manner expected by number crunchers.

(Andy Wootton) #28

I’ve mentioned this already in another thread about User Story Mapping, User Story Mapping

It seems popular amongst USM practitioners and is free for single-person use. It’s a bit like Trello but more about physical positioning of cards on a wall than lists.

https://cardboardit.com/

https://www.icescrum.com/ was also mentioned