The New Pound Coin

(Daniel Hollands) #1

So first we had the New Fiver:

Now we’ve got the New Pound Coin:

I wonder what they’ll do about shopping carts:

I guess they could ignore the changes and instead sell those shopping cart tokens, or maybe just ditch the security devices altogether if they didn’t want to upgrade.

(This pointless post brought to you by LimeBlast Industries, spouting rubbish since 1979)

(Jon) #2

From the pound site:

The current £1 coin is being replaced for the first time in over thirty years because of its vulnerability to sophisticated counterfeiters.

Hmm, isn’t the creation of non-existent money encouraged by the state? The newspapers were calling it quantitative easing just recently. :grinning:

(Stuart Langridge) #3

“Approximately one in thirty £1 coins in circulation is a counterfeit.”

That’s alarming. I don’t think I’ve ever knowingly held a bogus pound coin, but from the sound of that I have unknowingly had one in my pocket once a fortnight or so!

(Daniel Hollands) #4

I wonder if they’re counting all the trolly tokens

(shut up about the damned trollies already, Daniel :sweat_smile:)

(Steve Jalim) #5

Hidden high security feature – A high security feature is built into the coin to protect it from counterfeiting in the future.

The High Security Feature added by The Royal Mint means that for the first time, 100% accurate automatic recognition is possible on a genuine or counterfeit coin.

Anyone want to take bets on RFID? Or is there something better that I don’t know about (which is pretty likely)?

iSIS stands for “Integrated Secure Identification Systems”, and uses technology that has previously only been available in bank notes.

(Marc Cooper) #6

“the precise details of how iSIS works and the materials it uses remains top secret”

I’ll give it 24-hrs in circulation before that’s proved false.

(Greg Robson) #7

It could just be another metal (perhaps copper) inside a certain shape that allows changes in the electromagnetic field to be detected.

It might no exist at all however!

(Greg Robson) #8

They’re quite easy to spot - obvious thing is the text round the edge. The text should be clear and centred (consider that the BoE will make these to high tolerances!).

Quite easy to spot once you know what to look for.