The Humble Bundle Megathread

(Daniel Hollands) #1

As you probably know, I’m a fan of Humble Bundle. To date, I’ve made something like 6 posts about the various bundles which I’ve thought were relevant to this community, and will often drop hints about them anywhere that I see fit.

And, frankly, I have no desire to stop doing this, as I think they’re great value for money, and can lead to some amazing things. But, I’m beginning to realise that I probably don’t really need to start a new thread for each new bundle of relevance - instead, I can simply create one thread, and each time there’s a new bundle, just post to that thread.

Welcome to that thread.

I’m kicking off this thread with a link to the Humble Book Bundle Unix:

Unix, I nix. We called up our friends at O’Reilly to put together this bundle of Unix resources for all! Find your nutshell reference, your pocket guide, and your power tools here. We’ve got you covered!

How do you manage your ebooks?
(Daniel Hollands) #2

The Humble Book Bundle: Code Your Own Games

BYOB and CYOG. Buy your own bundle and code your own games with Humble and Apress! Just make sure to hydrate – and please, never code and drive.

(Daniel Hollands) #3

(Daniel Hollands) #4

(Unlike a few of the last ones, this is one I’m actually going to buy)

(Daniel Hollands) #5

(Daniel Hollands) #6

(Daniel Hollands) #7

— also —

(Daniel Hollands) #8

Yet another electronics based bundle, I’m super happy right now :slight_smile:

(Daniel Hollands) #9

(Daniel Hollands) #10

(Daniel Hollands) #11

(Daniel Hollands) #12

(Daniel Hollands) #13

(Daniel Hollands) #14

(Daniel Hollands) #15

(Daniel Hollands) #16

(Jon) #17

I keep thinking “ah, I should get that”, and then failing to do so. Am I right in thinking they are allowed to offer low prices because they are only for a limited time? The website itself is not all that informative about how it works.

I’ll have to wait for both Cloud Computing and Bitcoin books to roll around again, I guess! :slightly_frowning_face:

(Daniel Hollands) #18

In a nut shell, yes.

Each bundle only exists for a short amount of time (something like 14 days think). During this time you’re able to name your own price for the stuff within the bundle, and depending on how much you’re willing to spend, you’ll get the alloted items.

For example, in the Java bundle above, if you spend anything from $1 to $7.99 you’ll get the first five books. If you spend anything from £8 to $14.99 you’ll get the first five, as well as the next five, and spend anything over $15, you’ll get all of them.

Best of all, once you’ve chosen the amount you’re willing to spend, you get to choose where the money goes. Want it all to go to charity? No problem, just adjust the sliders accordingly.

Most of the stuff you get from Humble Bundle is DRM free (and they’ll let you know where it isn’t) and you’ll have the ability to download it as and when you want.

In short, I’m a fan. I’ve purchased most of the bundles listed above, and a fair number more.

(Jon) #19

It’s an interesting proposition. For me, I have two competing mental models: I reduce the price because I would not have purchased thing X at full price, but then I want to increase it again because I don’t want to feel like I’m underpaying an author! :blush:

(Jon) #20

Do they ever repeat a bundle theme? Not necessarily the same set of books, but might they do themes again that people missed first time around?