Tech leaders meetup

(Andy Wootton) #41

What do you mean by “the consortium”? Is that the same as ‘the community’? It sounds like you have to be a developer to take part.

Dan originally described the forum as being for “hackers, hipsters and hustlers” which I thought was fun but more serious people found frivolous and it slowly withdrew into the shadows. Have we accepted that we failed to attract designers and entrepreneurs? Are we about just tech (IT & a bit of making) now rather than startups? Perhaps Silicon Canal grabbed that ‘market’.

I think that there are a huge number of people involved in tech now who aren’t developers and have expertise that could be very useful to the community. Data science, marketing, PR, policy, strategy & politics and artists. They often think differently to techies and their ideas can be very valuable.

Does ‘the community’ have common purpose or are we just a bunch of people who chat and a few people get together and do things? Either model could work but I’m not sure which we are.

(Jim Seconde) #42

This feels like it’s derailing the original point of the leaders meetup discussion, but what I would recommend is reading the notes we published - it very clearly highlights that we’re aiming to connect with disciplines outside of the current boundaries, because currently people in UX, design/graphic design, marketing etc aren’t represented across the forum.

(Jon) #43

That sounds like it’s worth a new thread, @Woo? How to get everyone involved, and how to steer it democratically, are worthwhile questions.

(Jim Seconde) #44

That is a big chunk of what we’re trying to do (referring to https://talk.birmingham.io/t/im-thinking-about-stepping-down-who-should-replace-me/3372/21?u=jims) but in the meantime for tech leaders, this exactly what @MollySC is doing for SC for tech leaders in brum tomorrow so we already have movement on I guess on both subject matters (Community, leaders)

(chrisc) #45

Hello everyone.

Going back to the original topic of this thread, and after speaking to @DaveDev at the SC BBQ, I’d be happy to help someone reinvigorate the old meetup (Tech Execs Birmingham) if there is interest.

I had no shame in gatekeeping the original group’s membership with an iron fist (along with David Brooks and @omarqureshi when he was CTO of buddy IIRC) specifically so we could keep the topics on track and relevant to the group (funding, finding people, co-founder woes, motivating people, strategy, teaming people, local area, retaining people and just people). Absolutely no recruiters, sorry if you weren’t a current or ex founder, or CxO of a tech company.

You would not believe how many recruiters tried to get into that group (and how). FFS.

I thought the format of coffee-with-a-topic worked quite well. No doubt a lot of people were annoyed that I wouldn’t include them (mainly recruiters) but groups like this only work if all of the recipients have something to contribute, and as this particular this group acted as a support network it required everyone to be close-ish peers. And honestly, I wouldn’t feel annoyed if someone didn’t want me at their Vue.js meetup - I’d have literally nothing to offer.

I’ve had a look on Meetup and it seems the original site is long gone unfortunately, I think the member list would be way out of date anyway.

Anyways if anyone is interested hit me up here or cc AT talis DOT com.

(Matthew Steer) #46

Hey Chris. Well, I kicked off the thread and then failed utterly to follow through. Reasons not worth going into. But I’m definitely interested and more than happy to help in any way, as well as wanting to be included.

(chrisc) #47

I think my time as ‘the gatekeeper’ is done - to be clear i’m not looking personally to lead on this - but i’ll happily contribute to getting someone else set up and started (and come along and cause trouble!)

I’ve developed some pretty sophisticated AI to bat off wiley recruiters over the last few years, so I am not going to put myself back in a situation where I actually have to interact (albeit electronically) with them again. They might out fox me!

(Dave Evans) #48

Yes - I’ll help too. It was an excellent meetup.

(Mitesh Parmar) #49

Hi all, bit late to all of this, i’m keen to attend. More so to learn where i can as i want to grow into more of a leadership role and indirectly doing this anyway, where i work without the official title.

Happy to help where i can too.