Tech leaders meetup

(Matthew Steer) #1

Would anyone be interested in a meetup or semi-regular networking event for leaders in tech? I’m thinking about CTOs, Head-of-Engineering, that sort of level, any size of company. I can imagine a whole host of topics that we could discuss and support each other on, things that tend not to be covered in other forums.

I’m up for organising it, if there’s any interest.

(Dave Evans) #2

I’d be interested - there used to be a meeting about 4 times a year organised by @chrisc - it was very good. But not running for a while now.

(Matthew Steer) #3

Cool. Was that just a meetup? Or was there any presentation/panel discussion organised?

(Rnr_Pauline) #4

I’d be interested too, esp in light of recent Digital Leaders salon
https://digileaders.com/events/salon-can-small-business-charities-realise-opportunities-becoming-digitally-capable/,
and Andy Street’s Digital Board

Pauline

*RnR Organisation *
Pauline Roche / Ted Ryan
Managing Director / Special Projects Director

tel: 0121 449 6647
mob: 0797 440 7015 (Ted) / 0797 440 7017 (Pauline)
email: RnR.Organisation@gmail.com RnR.organisation@googlemail.com
website: www.RnROrganisation.co.uk http://www.rnrorganisation.co.uk/
twitter: @tedryan22 / @paulineroche @RnRworks

Pauline - Winner, West Midlands Women of the Year 2016 award Outstanding
contribution to technology & listed #InspiringFifty

RnR Organisation - Finalist, Social Enterprise of the Year, Birmingham
Awards 2017

Digital WM News (monthly tech for good bulletin)
http://www.rnrorganisation.co.uk/resources/digital-wm-news/

RnR Organisation works with SMEs in the voluntary & community sector, and
with grassroots and minority cultural and community groups to enhance their
skills and networks in governance, strategic development, data science and
funding.

RnR Organisation offers a comprehensive programme of community and cultural
development including project management, events management, information,
advice, training and other support that helps voluntary and community
organisations do their work better.

RnR Organisation is a not for profit social enterprise company. It is a
member of West Midlands Open Data Forum (WMODF), Birmingham and Solihull
Social Economy Consortium CIC (BSSEC), Digbeth Social Enterprise Quarter,
ODI Birmingham, SEUK West Midlands (SEWM) and Enterprise Nation

RnR Organisation is registered as a Company Ltd by Guarantee in England and
Wales

Company Registration Number 9140623

Registered Office: Studio 504, The Custard Factory, Gibb St, Birmingham B9
4AA

(Steve Jalim) #5

Yep, I’d be interested!

(Dave Evans) #6

It was a meetup with no speaker, but Chris would announce a topic for discussion (e.g. Annual Retrospective) in advance so that we could all prepare.

(Alex Wilson) #7

With a strict “no recruiters” policy, I assume? :slight_smile:

(Matthew Steer) #8

Ha! Yes, for sure. TBH I probably would be asking everyone who they are, just to make sure it’s a sensible group, so we can weed out. Although that’s an interesting question: would the CEO of a tech recruitment company be in, or out? ; )

(Andy Wootton) #9

Fascinating @paulineroche. Who are these ‘digital intermediaries’? I’ve never heard of the Digital Leaders Salon. I’m not sure which leader would be representing my interests either.

What is the ‘scope’ of the proposed group? The intro hints at a level in a hierarchical technical organisation, possibly just ‘above’ ‘actually being technical’. Do you see it being about running a company, getting funding, managing a team, technical strategy, methods or something else? How do ‘independent consultants’ or contractors who have operated at that level fit in?

After all that typing, I realise I’m mainly asking if the emphasis is on “technical” or “leaders”. In the world of networked organisations I sometimes inhabit, leadership is now seen as a skill/service rather than a level.

(Matthew Steer) #10

Good questions. The idea came from me wanting peers that I could talk to about the challenges I am dealing with, and perhaps the challenges and opportunities I’m not even aware of. And by peers I guess I mean: other people who spend quality time thinking about concerns like, yes, managing a team, technical strategy, running a tech company/organisation, getting funding, and also building a healthy culture, finding talent, motivation, engagement, and succeeding with a tech team within a larger business.

I’m not fussed what title you hold, or whether you sit at the top of a traditional hierarchical organisation or are consulting/contracting in a different space. It’s more about whether you have an affinity and interest in these kind of topics.

I’ve actually been along to a handful of networking events aimed more generically at CEOs & high-level execs across all industries, and I just found so many of the attendees so tech-illiterate that I couldn’t spark a useful conversation! That was my other inspiration for wanting to start something similar, but specifically for tech companies. : )

(Andy Wootton) #11

@MattSteer That sounds relevant to my interests. I’ve been writing but I have a backround in development, ops/tech support, consultancy, information risk management policy, business process modelling and organisational change, most recently as a BA in an R&D/labs development environment, where we introduced agility. I’ve seen how very big companies do it, in pharmaceuticals and at Jaguar, BP, BT, British Gas, Nuclear Electric & E.ON.

(Steve Pitchford) #12

@MattSteer sounds like something I would be interested in. Your discussion points sounds like a tick list of my personal professional areas of interest.