Sublime vs. PHPStorm

(Greg Robson) #22

This has also been on my mind as well recently.

I’ve been using Sublime for the last three years and I’ve been very happy with it so far. I’ve got everything set up the way I like, the multiple cursors are fantastic and the keyboard shortcuts are set up just the way I like them. It’s minimal, stable and lightweight even after a day’s worth of use.

I have a growing worry at the back of my mind however…

The author of Sublime Text release very, very, very rare updates. While people who know him on the forum keep telling the community that it hasn’t been abandoned I worry that it’s falling behind and becoming abandon-ware. Last I heard he was going to finish the current beta off, then get other developers on board - that was at least 8 months ago now :frowning:

When I have some free time I’m considering PHPstorm - you can sync settings between machines without plugins, it supports a lot of Syntax and I’ve been impressed by another product by them: Data Grip (their new multi-database IDE). It’s Java, which gives me a little bit of worry about performance, but it does have some nifty code refactoring tools and is generally always bang up to date for supporting things like PHP7. If I do decide to move over to it I would most likely configure it to have the minimal interface of Sublime (no line numbers shown - use goto shortcuts and the status bar, no file explorer, no menus, no minimap - I do everything from the omni bar and via keyboard shortcuts).

Atom is another contender - I hear it has improved a lot since the early days. I’m a bit unsure about the whole “Web page as an editor window” but it’s free, so I have nothing to loose.

Vim some people have bitten the bullet and have retrained. I do generally try and avoid using the mouse in Sublime Text. I can see how using HJK and L keys instead of the arrow keys (with some prefix I assume) in Vim makes sense. Some of these tips would apply to any editor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkdrYWhh-8s

Despite getting my Word Processing qualifications at secondary school and having a touch typing speed of about 60wpm I know that my coding speed has plateaued. Studies have shown that we only learn to go as fast as feel we nee d to. I would like to take a step back and re-evaluate how to reduce duplicated effort and eliminate using the mouse entirely (I do occasionally fall back to it).

(Marc Cooper) #23

Agreed with everything you said until this. I used Netbeans until Oracle withdrew Ruby support.

The idea that Java implies CPU/memory hog is kind of 1990s thinking. There’s loads of stuff built on the JVM that rocks. JRuby on TorqueBox is amazing.

(Andy Wootton) #24

I’m fairly clueless about Atom. I came across it via Git and, within a couple of days, at the new Eclipse Orion https://orionhub.org/ which is about establishing a new cloud platform, when I was searching for free UML modelling tools.

I may have grasped the wrong end of the virtual stick. I thought I’d read a press-release that Orion had adopted Atom but I’m finding comments that Orion is better.

(Jon) #25

That’s fine, but NetBeans on Linux really does max out the CPU, and causes the whole machine to run sluggishly. For what it is doing - mostly code analysis I think - the performance would not be acceptable if I’d paid for the product.

As I said earlier though, there are probably good and bad implementation on the Java platform - perhaps the bad ones do not help dispel “1990s thinking” :smiley:

(Daniel Hollands) #26

I made the switch from NetBeans to PHPStorm, and I’m glad I did - it’s just better. I can’t think of any specific examples (as this was quite a few years ago), but there were things which PHPStorm had support for long before NetBeans had caught up.

My trick, for the past 4 years or so (starting with PHPStorm, but now RubyMine) has been to get my employer to pay for it - but if I was working freelance, I’d buy a licence in an instant.

As previously mentioned, PHPStorm/RubyMine is also Java - but I’ve never had a problem with it. I’ll admit most of the machines I run it on have been brand new and top of the line - but the Ubuntu machine I used at Intercity was powered by a dead hamster - and it worked fine.

(Marc Cooper) #27

I remember that problem. It continually analyses the code, instead of deltaing it. I wanted to leverage git to do diffing, because it is ideal for that task, extremely efficient, and meant throwing away thousands of lines of code \o/ But the devs were wedded to their customer solution. That was years ago. Looks like they never solved it.

(Andy Wootton) #28

Did this last night :slight_smile: My new book, ‘Living Clojure’ recommends it as the best editor for noobs and my head was sore from where emacs makes me self-harm.

Looks nice but is doing magic stuff in the background, downloading libraries etc. made my code run though, so I have some level of REPL integration.

(Andy Wootton) #29

I haven’t had much time to do any code stuff today but I found this:

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/blog/2013/09/11/light-table-workflow-for-interactive-clojure-development/

The 10s start-up felt more like 10 minutes on my machine, so I was please to read that’s a first-time-only cost,

Because LightTable is written in ClojureScript rather than Clojure, I’m not sure it has emacs’ weird, live self-modification capability, within a browser session. I’d be much happier giving LightTable to a complete beginner than emacs though.

Here’s the original pitch for funding.

There are some interesting ambitions mentioned there. “a reactive work surface for the creation and exploration of our programs,” rather than a collection of windows.