Sublime vs. PHPStorm

(Chris Vickers) #1

Which one is better?

I have been using PHPStorm for many years using Codeigniter and now have migrated to Laravel.

I have seen some people use Sublime 3 text editor with additional plugins to get Blade syntax working and other nice premium IDE features.

What are peoples preferences over this?

Which IDE do you recommend?
Which IDE do you recommend?
(Daniel Hollands) #2

Hi @CodingRebel, welcome to the community.

The thing you need to understand is that Sublime and PHPStorm are different things - Sublime is a text editor, whereas PHPStorm is an IDE.

I’ll admit that Sublime is a very advanced text editor, with the ability to use packages which add lots of additional functionality (such as syntax highlighting, etc…), but at the end of the day, it’s just a text editor.

An IDE is a lot more than just a text editor, offering tools such as a debugger, the ability to start a server, intelligent auto-complete of method names, built in composer support, built in vagrant support, lots of helper functionality, and lots more beside.

So (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) I think you’re asking the wrong question. Neither one of them is better, because they’re different things which cater to different audiences, and are ultimately designed for different purposes.

To try and provide you with an answer surrounding your question of the Blade syntax specifically however, back when I was doing Laravel I used PHPStorm for everything except editing of blade files. This is much for the reasons you’ve suggested (better support of blade formatting in Sublime).

That was a few months ago however, and having just done a quick search, it turns out that PHPStorm will soon (if not already) have baked in support for Blade.

I hope this helps :smile:

(James Jeffery) #3

I’ve used a number of text editors over the years. I still use Sublime at times, it’s a great editor. But, by far the most productive editor I’ve used is VIM. If you have a little time I’d highly recommend you take a look.

(Daniel Hollands) #4

I was wondering if you would like to go into a bit more detail about this. What is it about VIM that makes it productive?

(Also, welcome to the forum)

(Chris Vickers) #5

I would have thought that but considering the amount of plugins that are available for Sublime now i would have thought it would be better to use sublime and just add what you want rather than have everything bundled in. Kind of like a framework. Have the basics and then add more when you need it. One of the reasons i love Django and Laravel, its not a micro-framework like Flask but still pretty slim.

(Daniel Hollands) #6

That’s great in theory, but you’re relying upon the charity of others and the hope that someone out there has built a package that does what you need, and are going to support you when you run into trouble. I highly doubt you’re going to be able to make Sublime do everything that PHPStorm (or any of the JetBrains products) do.

At the end of the day though, it’s all down to personal preference, and if you prefer Sublime, then it’s awesome you’ve found an editor that you get on with. Both Sublime and PHPStorm have free trials, so try them both and see which fits you better.

(Oh, and like @JamesJeffery suggested, why not give VIM a try as well)

(Chris Vickers) #7

I have seen all of these “Hard Core Coders” that think unless you use VIM then you are cheating but my point is why would i want to code in such a basic environment when i can download one like Sublime or PHPStorm and skip all of the hassle of having to install packages on top to get what i want.

I know this is very much the case with Linux but at the same time i use Ubuntu on a daily bases and it does come with packages like a GUI which are basic needs in order for me to get my work done. Again i know some people say you should use Arch and then build from the ground up but if you have time for that then great but i don’t.

I’m using Sublime a lot recently but i still think PHPstorm has the edge as from installing it, i have an awesome IDE which works really well and gives me a lot of code styling help which is my major down fall in writing code.

(Jon) #9

Hi Stas. Why do you favour that IDE? I don’t think I have heard of it.

Welcome to the community too - do please say hello on the ‘introductions’ thread. Are you based in or linked with Birmingham?

(Stas Ustimenko) #10

It is free, it works fast enough and the main advantage is special support (including autocomplete) for many popular frameworks: WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, CodeIgniter, Symfony, Laravel and so on.

(Stuart Langridge) #11

@Stas_Ustimenko cheers for letting us know. What makes you choose Codelobster? Are you affiliated with the company?

(Jon) #12

Ah, you are not in Birmingham. I guess from your icon you are the author of this product or in some way connected with it.

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you are linked to this product, please state so explicitly in every post you make in favour of it.

[For the sake of continuity, I was replying here to a post that was later deleted for promoting an undeclared interest].

(Andy Wootton) #13

As someone has woken this thread up, I’m going to admit to a change of heart. I’ve always disliked vi and emacs about equally because the start-up cost is too high. If I had been going to choose one then it would have been vi because it follows Unix philosophy of doing one thing well(ish) and not trying to be a Swiss Army Knife.

My journey into Lisp world recently has made me see things slightly differently. What’s so great about operating systems that I have to comply with their rules? What I want is portable applications. If I can get a Lisp environment that will run on top of a cloud service (Clojure, on JVM, .Net or JS) then it makes perfect sense that my editor should be written in Lisp too, so emacs. Don’t worry, I can’t believe I’m saying this either. I’m not even sure why I’d ever need to customise an editor, if was any good.

I can also see the case for the Atom web editor https://atom.io/ if the Cloud was the only place I wanted to work. If it’s good enough for github, etc.

(Marc Cooper) #14

spacemacs has been getting a lot of attention recently. Also on twitter: https://twitter.com/spacemacs

(Stas Ustimenko) #15

OK, that for the notes.
Yes, I am affliated with Codelobster Software.

(Michael Brett) #16

If that’s the case, you might want to checkout LightTable, written in ClojureScript.

I hear every time someone fires up Emacs, Stallman gets one step closer to Ascension. Like the Mayor in Buffy Season 3.

(Jon) #17

On the subject of the original post, I use NetBeans, and have done for many years. PHPStorm has become very popular amongst developers I’ve spoken to, even open source developers, which is surprising given that it is a proprietary product.

I am minded to try PHPStorm, and now I am a contractor I can just buy it myself rather than asking someone else to consider buying it for me! However there is always pain in switching, which is why I have been cautious about looking into it. NetBeans just hasn’t been bad enough to force my hand.

In fact the project dialogue, Git integration, code introspection and auto-complete in NetBeans have generally been very good. The downside is that it is build on Java, and so is a CPU/memory hog!

(Michael Brett) #18

I’m pretty sure PHPStorm also runs on Java. I did a trial on WebStorm on my Linux machine a few months ago, and I seem to remember Java being an issue…

Also, not a fan of their move to subscription service ala Creative Cloud. WebStorm was pretty good though.

Decided to persevere with Vim in the end. How else am I going to be l33t?

(Jon) #19

It does, yes - although I imagine there are good and bad implementations. I might try downloading a demo version and see how it performs on a code import.

That would put me off a great deal, I’ll look into it.

(Matt Andrews) #20

Might be misunderstanding you here, but Atom is a regular (offline) app, just like Sublime. Main difference is it’s written in web technologies (HTML/CSS/JS) which aids community contributions.

(Dave Adlakha-Russell) #21

I’ve been having a brilliant time with spacemacs over the past 3 or 4 months.

Basically everything my old vim setupcould do, spacemacs does it equally well or better. Which is fortunate, as if I wanted to add my own custom behaviours to it I’d think I’d have a bad time not knowing lisp.