Stack Overflow 2019 Dev survey results

(Colin Smith) #1

Stack Overflow 2019 Developer Survey results are out. Some interesting reading in there by the looks
https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2019

(Colin Smith) #2

must admit I’ve not heard of Rust though :thinking:

(Jim Seconde) #3

Rust seems to be a very fast riser. It seems to be sort of taking the bottoming out of Erlang and Haskell, and devs speak very highly of it

(Andy Wootton) #4

I’d say it’s ‘closer to the metal’ than either of those, though it does target some of the same problem domains - concurrency and type-safety.

Someone (on Brumtech?) recently described it as “C++ done properly”. If you think of it as a chain: C -> C++ -> Java -> C# then it looks like people realised they set off in the wrong direction for where they’d like to be now.

(Jim Seconde) #5

Hah, that was me. I think the idea was that it’s a reinvention of what C++ does in a modern language, i.e. a “base level” language that will do -anything-, but without a lot of mental caveats and design decisions that makes C++ a hard beast to tame

(Andy Wootton) #6

Graydon Hoare, Rust designer:

I wonder if he’s related to Tony (C.A.R.) Hoare, inventor/discoverer of Communicating Sequential Processes.

(Andy Wootton) #7

Isn’t The Internets knowledgeable? https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12613295

(Greg Robson) #8

Some of my thoughts…

Nice to see PostgreSQL edging out Microsoft SQL Server.

Since being re-introduced to it after many years by a colleague at a previous workplace I’ve been impressed with the innovations in the last couple of years. Lots of solid additions like parallel query support, partitioning improvements, stored procedures and JIT query plan compilation.

I think it’s availability with cloud providers (AWS, Google, Digital Ocean) has increased people’s awareness.

Totally free, totally open source. Solid as a rock!

Glad to see Vue.js on the up as well. It’s a great front end framework with an easy to use API and a shallow learning curve.

How is Notepad++ holding on??? 30.5%? :open_mouth:
I showed a contractor Sublime Text a couple of weeks ago and he fell in love with it and ditched Notepad++. With Sublime Text, Atom, Visual Studio (and Vim for the sadists!) all providing a lot more tooling, performance and features I don’t see why people are sticking with Notepad++?

Containerisation
I’m seeing a lot more mentions of this and people using it in production - might have to gem up on this next!

Sigh, still…

Music choices - Hans Zimmer, Ludovico Einaudi, Taylor Swift (?), also “steps” and “hell” are connected! :laughing:

Once again, a lot of obvious, but a few surprises in there!

(Andy Wootton) #9

PostGres came out of the Ingres team at Berkeley. I was once involved in a competitive bid between Oracle and Ingres but the directors got taken out for dinner by Oracle and my recommendation was ignored. Revenge isn’t better served cold but it’s still worth having :slight_smile:

(Andy Wootton) #10

That last bit is interesting. An agile team is tasked with delivering business value. They should have autonomy over deciding how to deliver what the customer says is valuable, including meetings and non-development work that they don’t believe adds to that value. My team tried to get the things we didn’t value taken out of our development time but our manager didn’t seem to follow our arguments (nor that we didn’t value as much management as he insisted on providing.) Good luck to anyone who tries changing that: ‘Management as a Service’? Management time sheets might provide interesting metrics.

(Greg Robson) #11

I once looked at an Oracle price list. I was confused by the complexity and astounded by the costs. It made SQL Server look cheap at $thousands per core.

I’ve used SQL Server (it’s quite nice and easy to manage to be fair) and MySQL (sometimes fragile or has strange CPU-maxing-out issues, messy documentation) and Postgres has become my database of choice. Consistent API (date formatting is beautiful compared to MySQL), rock-solid stability and super-clear documentation.

(Andy Wootton) #12

I went on a database course a few years ago, at an office on Broad St. It was a kind of pop-up for training on Free/Open Source Software. The instructor had been an Oracle DBA but he was teaching Postgres and thought it was better, unless you needed some of the Oracle corporate features. When DEC hit the buffers, Oracle bought their Rdb and our DBAs thought they’d incorporate some of it’s resilience strengths on clusters but they just wound it down and stole the customers. The Computer Associates business model - buy cash-cows and milk until dead. They seemed to spend their money on sales staff instead of innovation.

(Carl Round) #13

Oracle Enterprise Edition only really makes sense financially if you have enough scale to negotiate a good discount off the list price - I’ve been involved in purchases where the discount has been >60%, but that was for ~60 cores, so it was still a pretty big bill at the end of the day.

Postgres is a really nice, stable product. You lose a lot of the instrumentation that you get with Oracle, so finding and debugging issues can be a challenge, but mostly it stands up pretty well. Of course, in a corporate setting you’d still want to have some sort of support agreement in place in case things go wrong, so it’s not “free”, but there are a number of support providers out there so you can shop around.

(Colin Smith) #14

Regarding Notepad++ I realised I’ve been using it mostly out of habit. My original requirements were for a simple multi-document text editor just for dumping notes into; the fact that unsaved files are retained is a bonus. Other than that the macro feature is useful. I did look at Sublime years back but it irritated me for reasons I can’t remember; however after you’re post I thought I’d give it another try and it now ticks all of my boxes and looks and feels better than Notepad++ . Additionally I’ve always wanted a simple TODO list feature and found this is supported well by the plugin PlainTasks. Does exactly what I need.

Containerisation is something I know I need to get onto but I’ve been avoiding, along with the whole dev-ops thing which seems to now be getting high on the skills list.