Sooo.......Im job hunting (covers face)

(Daveyon Mayne) #1

Has anyone talked about their hard times starting out in web development? Thanks to all who have replied to all my posts made on here; I’ve taken everything onboard and will apply all in my future work or job.

I’ve been developing personal projects mainly to get exposed to programming. I do not have parents that could afford university etc so I relied on doing it my own; with books and online videos. I had fun doing those side projects as I was working part-time, in a local computer repair shop but my time there will end in the coming days. It’s time to pull my socks up, give up what I was working on and find a job. A job as a junior developer or an intern. Is there something lower? I’ll take it.

Yesterday I’ve started applying directly to companies. My CV is very thin and my question is, what is required for a junior or intern web developer? Based on my side projects, how to tailor? My self taught skills are ruby, js and yes html and css. I dabbed into php few years ago but I did focused on ruby in greater.

Most jobs I see, here in the midlands, required first class knowledge of php. How can/should I approach those companies? I do learn fast and can convert. Ruby has made this possible. How can a person like me get through that company’s door and start from a basic job? Basic in other language a part from ruby.

It took guts for me to post this. I’ve never really applied for jobs as I feel I’m no match for others with their qualifications behind or in front their names. I remembered sucked at an interview: I could not convert a string to an array LOL! I laugh so hard when I left the interview. My brain clogs up; I look stupid.

All in all. I am job hunting. If php is the go to for jobs, then so be it.

One project I’ll never give up and that’s my baby: (slow load time on heroku). It was on hold as I was waiting on Spree Commerce to be compatible with Rails 5.

(Steve Pitchford) #2

Network. Get involved in the local scene. Watch speakers, contribute. Provide patches for open source projects.

Place yourself in a situation which provides rich sources of opportunity, be patient, rather than appear desperate and start seeing opportunism as a long term game with positive outcomes for all involved.

(Daveyon Mayne) #3

Thanks, @Steve_Pitchford.

What do you mean by:

(Steve Pitchford) #4

Well, you seem to have started well by looking at the jobs market - jobs boards are your friends - they capture the desirable skills and are far more usefull than just seeking employment - they captire the market for software development.

You’ve got some web skills but have identified that php is more prevalent than ruby ( which I see as a dieing language alongside perl ). I believe that javascript is also on the accension.

So, it may be that you look at your skills, compare them with the jobs market, and find the smallest changes required of you to have the skills required locally. Then enact the changes whilst keeping an eye open for ruby jobs.

A living website in the relevant tech makes for a great cv. Once you have something together, you could apply to one or two companies and see how you get on. Don’t over apply - you may need to use any scraps of feedback to enhance your skills, cv, or interview techique.

An alternative route, If you have more time, and funds, would be a compsci degree - Aston has a great record of getting students out on a paid placement after two years, with high post course employability.

You seem like you are already self motivated and taking responsibility for your own learning - which is good - you would be surprised how many people expect employers to do this for them. Having the right attitude is a large part of the battle.

Maintaining relevant skills is another aspect - which you have already seen. This takes work - both in terms of learning and following industry trends.

(Daveyon Mayne) #5

I wished I was still living with mom and dad or a family member but I live with my kids so going back to an institution is not possible, I would love to.

You have well explained my question, thanks for that. As for php, the web says it’s going to die but companies profit from it so I guess I need to learn it and WordPress. Language is not my concern, I know what I can bring to the table if someone says to me: “Daveyon, we need this feature using x, how soon can you ship it?” I’ll then say Im on it.

(Jon) #6

PHP is pretty healthy in the UK, as is .net, Java and server-side JS. I hear good things about Ruby but it is true that I don’t see many adverts requiring skills in that language. Perhaps @LimeBlast can shed some light? - he works in a Ruby shop.

(Steve Pitchford) #7

Is this an option:

(Daveyon Mayne) #8

Oh! I’ll have a look when on a laptop later. Looks good so far. Thanks

(Dom Barnes) #9

I’d check as many job boards as you can find, don’t bother with Monster or Reed or any of those things. Find local companies and check their websites.

Apply for anything that you feel is a little above where you think you are but in the right knowledge area (any junior roles or even mid-level roles). Overstretch. If you’re under-qualified you’ll probably never hear back from them anyway so who cares. If they see potential you may get an interview. Today’s junior is tomorrow’s mid-level, and next weeks senior (metaphorically!).

Make sure your public projects are well represented. Nice README’s, easy set up notes. Do a git clone of your key projects from fresh, set them up and run them. Don’t work? Get yourself a good bin/setup script. Show that you’ve thought about the key areas, paid attention to things. Comment at least some of your code, have some tests. Document how to run tests, etc. Complete something. Have a live app that people can click on and look around. I have a ton of incomplete projects, and some complete ones. A bad complete project is better than a great incomplete one.

If you’re not bothered about being in an office, try remote work job boards.

Get a good personal website up. It could just be a photo, list of links to places you’re online.

Decide if you’re rather do client work (varied project types) or on a single project. If you even care one way or another.

(Daveyon Mayne) #10

Yes and thanks. Reed and Monster are a waste of time. Currently I’m attending many, many interviews since last week of my first major attempt to search. Few I have cancelled: bus/train fare are very low.

I am revisiting my projects and make them open source. Next week I’ll complete all as I should know where I stand by end of this week from all those interviews.

(Dan Course) #11

Hey @SylarRuby has been pretty good for me.

Warwick Uni Jobs -
UniTemps -
jobs ac uk -

Also, @WMG in the short future may be looking for a new developer with front end skills and some PHP. It’d be worth say hi to him at least,

Best, DanC

(Jon) #12

On this old thread there’s loads of job site links.

(Daveyon Mayne) #13

An estimated ~9 interviews, since this first post, many coffees in a single day, many coffees in a single week, many money spent on train fare and many faces met. I’ve met people that never heard of git to people that works on master branch. But it was fun. I was offered a job on a trial period as…I do not know php lol But they liked my websites built in ruby (especially this) which was a plus for them plus my iPhone app.

Trial period may sound “if/else” but you have a foot in, so work very hard to get the other foot inside :wink:

If anyone job hunting is reading this, get your demos online as that will be your only chance of succeeding.

(Greg Robson) #14

I would probably leave a Greg shaped hole in the wall if people told me they worked on the master branch :open_mouth:

(Jon) #15

Have you seen my beginner’s tutorial? I expect it’d be easy for you, but it may be a nice way to appreciate the syntax and mindset, even if you don’t actually work through it.

(Daveyon Mayne) #16

Never seen it before. I’ll have a read through later.

(Jon) #17

I’d add that not using a framework is generally discouraged in the PHP community, as is roll-your-own. But for beginners I feel that introducing a framework too early is counterproductive, so that readers understand what is core and what is framework.

(Daveyon Mayne) #18

@halfer On your website:

I’ve looked to my right but not sure what to look for. Nothing that says “chapter.” Did you meant “content”?

(Dom Barnes) #19

Congrats on the trial offer.
If one of the the people interviewing isn’t even familiar with source control or git then I’d be a bit nervous about the existing team. Did you ask about them? If even a junior dev nowadays doesn’t know git/svn then they’re lacking some serious holes.
Working on master branch sounds like a sign that they’re working as a solo developer and aren’t doing any CI/CD, and its probably a manual deployment process. Don’t expect things to go as smoothly as Github -> heroku!

(Daveyon Mayne) #20

Thanks. Their senior came out and I asked him what stack he uses, he stuttered for bit and asks what is that. And that’s a company that handles clients websites. Strange. And they were offering £25K so Im a bit surprised.