Share an image of your workstation

(Daniel Hollands) #1

Lets make this three for three - we already have IDE and Desktop threads, so why not a workstation one too?

You know the drill, post an image of where you do your work (be it a computer in a shed, a laptop in starbucks, or even an easel in your living room), and share it with the world.

(Although you can upload images to this forum, there is an file size limit, so you might be better off using something like Imgur to upload the image, then embed it into the post by simply pasting the URL - the forum should do the rest for you).

I’ll start with mine:

This is my Dell XPS 15 9530, the vital stats of which are:

• NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB
  • 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
  • 512GB mSATA Solid State Drive
  • 91WHr 6-Cell Battery

I got it just before Xmas, and finished paying for it last month. It’s running both Windows 8.1 (which I use for multimedia stuff) and Ubuntu 14.04 (which I use for development).

The mouse is an old Logitech MX 518 which I pinched from my (currently unused) gaming PC, but I also have an Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse for when I’m out and about. The Keyboard is a Razer Blackwidow, although once I can afford it, I’m going to replace this with a Das Keyboard 4 Professional (clickly keyboards FTW) and donate the Blackwidow to my gaming PC.

The secondary monitor is a BenQ G2420HDBL - nothing particular special about it. I’d like to get a third monitor at some point, maybe just a small USB one, which I can mount on the wall, to use as a dedicated terminal.

Anyway, this is me, what about you?

(Stuart Langridge) #2

Glorious desktop (as per

A good example of usability coming first
(Daniel Hollands) #3

That is a nice looking rig - how do you have any room to move your mouse around with the base unit on the desk like that?

(Stuart Langridge) #4

There’s not a lot of room for mouse movement, but one doesn’t need a lot of room, I find?

The base unit (which is stone cold gorgeous, in my opinion; the picture doesn’t show it off all that well, but it’s brushed steel and smoked glass and I love it) is on the desk precisely because I wanted a beautiful thing to look at, rather than some horrid beige box which one feels the urge to hide under the desk.

(Daniel Hollands) #5

I have a feeling that this is where you and I may differ a little.

In my opinion, as long as something does what it’s meant to, and does it well, I don’t care much for what it looks like.

I think this is demonstrated by the case I got for my gaming PC: the Cooler Master HAF X. I went for this one because it’s designed to allow easy airflow through the case, helping keep everything inside it nice and cool…

… I guess it’s just lucky that I happened to find the HAF X attractive as well :slight_smile:

(That said, however, all things being equal, if you do have two things which are able to do exactly the same thing in the same way, and one looks better than the other, I’ll obviously go for the pretty one ;))

(Stuart Langridge) #6

Yeah. I totally absolutely do not feel like that, although some days I think that I am the only one who (a) believes that beauty is a critical part of what I want and (b) won’t get it by going to Apple for it. :slight_smile:

(Richard Cunningham) #7

I’ve got two main setups at home, at my desk…

2012 Macbook Air, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 24inch (1920x1200) screen, Arcam Alpha One amp and Tannoy mx2 speakers (both over 10 years old). I’ve also got a decent(ish) desktop (below the desk) that runs Ubuntu, but I haven’t turned it on in months - because it’s just more flexible to use the laptop all the time [except at work when I use a RedHat machine].

and this, my Ikea bookshelf which I use as a stand up desk:

Also in the picture Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphones (which are good) and guitar I can’t play

(Daniel Hollands) #8

@rythie How do you find using a stand up desk? I don’t think I’ve even ever had the idea of such a thing.

(Richard Cunningham) #9

I like it, it’s a better posture than I have normally sat at the desk. Also since I’m already standing up, I end walking about a lot more and feel less tired and more focused. Though after a couple of hours in one go I tend to want sit again for a bit.

(Daniel Hollands) #10

I may have to give it a go - now that I have two laptops, I could put one on a shelf somewhere and give it a go. Uses a much smaller footprint too, so it could be almost anywhere I’m guessing.

(Richard Says Hello) #11

I have just bought myself a hammock, can’t quite get the right amount of shade to use my laptop while sitting in it. Might just have a beer instead.

(Andy Wootton) #12

I decided long ago that those pictures of guys running their servers from a Californian sun-bed were a big fib.

That said, there is a corner of my garden where 2 large trees, a hammock-length apart have now formed a shady canopy…

SO… about this SUMMER WEATHER since I got my office how I like it

The raspberries are just out of reach. If the sun ever comes out again, can someone come and feed me grapes? p.s. It is an internship that offers an excellent opportunity to learn the sucking up skills required in a corporate environment. There will only be a small charge but you must make your own travel arrangements. (Inspired by seeing South Birmingham College advertising jobs as students on their courses.)

(Bastien Lemaire) #13

My office, don’t have a desk at home at the moment so I use the bed the sofa or the dining table depending on my mood.

(Daniel Hollands) #14

New job, new desk

(Steve Jalim) #15

Just moved to a new office in the same location.

Same setup as mentioned elsewhere but new view:

(Matt Andrews) #16

Linux on the desktop… literally.

Here’s me working at mine:

Macbook Pro 15" Retina with an absolutely ridiculous LG Ultrawide monitor which I typically split into three columns (you can see my text editor occupying the middle third here) to work with.

(Pauline Roche) #17

1 - Impact Hub Birmingham where I’m based 1-2 days a week

2 - Innovation Birmingham where I’m based 1 day a week

(Dave Adlakha-Russell) #18

I could probably do with a tidy up:

(Daniel Hollands) #19

My home office/control centre setup:

• iMac.
  • 2x Benq 1920x1080 monitors, propped up by some old books.
  • Printer, made wireless via a Raspberry Pi.
  • Code Keyboard (still getting used to it).
  • Internet phone for Foxsoft.
  • Macbook, for when I’m out and about.
  • Spare Raspberry Pi 2 (I have another one in the drawer, along with a Pi 3).
  • SD Card wallet, for all my Pi OS images.
  • Old VGA monitor, keyboard and mouse, used for playing with Raspberry Pis.
  • Old DVD wallet, serving as a footrest.
  • Piece of slate from Wellington, serving as a coaster.
  • Latest issue of MagPi magazine.
  • Various filing cabinets and other storage boxes.

Not pictured:

• Pi Hole DNS ad blocker.
  • Eliza Tinsley Mesh High Back Executive Swivel Chair.
  • De’Longhi bean to cup coffee machine.
  • 2x Sonos Play:1s.

(Andy Wootton) #20

It reminds me of 70s prog keyboard players :slight_smile: