Samsung support

(Andy Wootton) #1

I’m adding printers to my list of Samsung software support that sucks. I have 2 Samsung laser printers that are not supported under macOS now. They work under Linux but I doubt if that is due to Samsung’s efforts.

Along with: 2 Android phones that didn’t get the promised features on launch before they dropped support.

A smart TV that was replaced by a new platform, again before it got the apps they promised.

They make good hardware but they don’t do software support and I’m not a big fan of land-fill.

(Jon) #2

I imagine you could plug the printer into a Raspberry Pi and get it working from there. It could then be exposed as a network printer, which probably would work from the Mac :grin:

Of course, it turns out it is very possible!

(Richard Cunningham) #3

My Samsung smart TV has now discontinued/removed many of the apps it came with, including Spotify. The built-in PVR has some basic usablity problems, (e.g. chase play quits when the real programme ends and doesn’t remember where is left off). These have never been fixed.

My Samsung T3 USB SSD works great, but then it doesn’t need a specific driver, same with my monitor. I have many Sony things (mostly cameras) which work great, but Playstation 3 updates are handled badly, often blocking running of apps if you don’t have them.

To me it not just one brand, but any device that requires continual updates to function i.e. “Smart” devices. The issue is that most brands don’t commit to providing updates for a longer enought period of time. Apple is best at this, but could be better still, seeming to support phones for about 4 years and laptops for 7 years, software wise.

(Andy Wootton) #4

I don’t often say nice things about Google but my 2013 Nexus tablet is still supported. It’s a pity the hardware seems to have failed.

I’m waiting for a maintenance man to come and service my Kirby vacuum cleaner. I think it’s older than my kids. I paid a lot for it but it’s lasted. I’m clearly willing to pay for long term support rather than binning stuff. They’re missing a trick.

My newest PC is about 7. Clearly Linux is more than free.

@halfer Sadly, that doesn’t solve the problem of apps on the Mac. I’ve been wondering if I could set up GNU Ghostscript on a Linux print server and find a generic PostScript driver. I feel it’s what Steve would have wanted. Whatever happened to Display Postscript? :slight_smile:

(Andy Wootton) #5

I may have just discovered why this box has something called Gutenprint installed but this is becoming a job for another day. Save as PostScript, send to Linux? :slight_smile:

(Jon) #6

I’m not a Mac expert - it’s been a few years since I used one. However, I seem to recall they can print to an IP address-based printer, using a generic PS driver, quite easily. Apps themselves don’t know they’re printing to an antiquated printer, and they probably don’t even know they’re going through a network print server - they just see the standard mac printing API.

(Andy Wootton) #7

I’ve just had a shock @halfer, Apple developed CUPS

I was also surprised that GhostScript is here:
AND here:

(Richard Cunningham) #8

I think you mean “develop CUPS”, Apple bought it, they didn’t create it originally. With a network printer with a postscript engine, supporting IPP or LPD, you don’t need a special print driver, as @halfer says. Also CUPS tends to support a wide set of printers anyway, so even quite old things still probably work.

(Jon) #9

Looks like you can set up CUPS on Mac directly as well.

(Andy Wootton) #10

That’s how I remember it too @rythie but the language “developed by Apple” is ambiguous.

Unfortunately I have a local USB-port local printer that lots of people say Apple have dropped support for, hence the GhostScript on Linux idea. I messed with this stuff years ago to get VAXen printing to HP Laserjets hanging off terminal servers because t’management were too tight to pay for PostScript on all printers because Windows didn’t need it and wouldn’t let us keep our DEC printers which did because they signed a deal with HP to manage printer supplies.

Once I’d been wrestling with the problem for an hour, I remembered that I’d already been warned by some release notes but it took me so long to get around not knowing the root password so I could do the update that I’d forgotten about it.

(Andy Wootton) #11

Small update on this, my new Debian BigMac didn’t have printing set up so I installed CUPS. It still didn’t have the drivers, even though I do have them on my Ubuntu Linux box that uses CUPS. Samsung sold their printer division to HP and I suspect the drivers went missing during the move. CUPS uses Gutenprint drivers which now use PDF instead of PostScript. I’m currently trying to steal the printer definition file but as it’s binary, I’m not super confident it will work.