Salaries outside London

(Marc Cooper) #1

I posted this on Slack, but perhaps it’s more appropriate here:

I’m on a list that’s full of CTO-types. At a guess, 95% London-based. There’s a lot of handwringing going on about recent significant increases in dev salaries. For example, 3 to 4 years experience expecting 75k-90k. Snr devops roles to £750/day (contract). These aren’t one-offs.

Cause seems to be EU folk leaving due to Brexit — surprise! — and the fact that salaries in EU have steadily risen making UK less attractive than going home. As a corollary, UK folk are now moving out due to sane salaries and better quality of life — and ability to buy a home. These movements are growing.

It’s worth reflecting that since 2003 your salary would need a 50% increase just to stay pace with inflation: http://inflation.stephenmorley.org/

Just a heads up to not sell yourself short in wage negotiations. It might also lead to an increase in well-paid remote roles too. Interesting times.

(Greg Robson) #2

Interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

Also worth noting that the devaluing of the £ makes UK contractors cheaper for people in other countries. Make sure you price according to THEIR local currency and market value. i.e. Price according to a freelancer’s rate in Germany and then convert back into £. You should get a 10%–20% boost on your UK value depending on the currency.

(Marc Cooper) #3

Indeed. From a recruitment perspective, though, the devalued pound means a lowering of income for EU nationals sending money home.

Folk are also noticing network effects. An event triggers a re-evaluation of circumstances – say, committing to a new 12-month lease – discussions start, others re-evaluate, and so on.

It’s the status problem that’s driving a lot of this. So not Brexit per se, but Government incompetence

(Andy Wootton) #4

People always talk about a “jobs market” but everyone is negotiating blind, which favours the biggest bluffers on both sides. I’ve always thought a neutral organisation that collected data and anonymised it would be of great value. There used to be a company in Stone that did it for company data but that skews things too much in the employers favour. It also distorted things if it has a “developers” classification and there is a big hospital or a bank in the area.

I thought yesterday’s report that Stoke is the least productive city was interesting. I imagine its key industries are pottery, call-centres and betting companies. How on earth do you measure their collective productivity?

(Marc Cooper) #5

With respect @Woo, no-one mentioned a jobs market except yourself. Why divert a conversation toward something that you’d rather talk about? Why not start a new thread and discuss it there? This isn’t about some company in Stone or Stoke. Nor is it about measuring “collective productivity”.

(Andy Wootton) #6

@auxbus I can’t see how your original conversation wasn’t about the ‘jobs market’, by which I mean ‘the market value of skills’. There are plenty of food picking jobs in East Anglia but the market hasn’t adjusted fast enough to place a high enough value to attract employees.

Stone and Stoke are “outside London” and take me about as long to drive to as getting to central Birmingham, so they have a market impact on Birmingham salary values, as do Coventry, Warwick, Worcester, Wolverhampton, Telford, Derby, Nottingham & Leicester. Birmingham fades out to countryside much quicker than London, so salaries work in a different way to London. Brum ‘seems to be’ getting more expensive without paying more but I don’t really know because it’s all hearsay.

I was throwing out an idea for anyone who wanted it, because a few people have discussed creating jobs sites and it could be a market differentiating add-on, if privacy was respected. Traditional job/contract agencies exploited their knowledge of buy/sell salary levels to maximise their own margin.