birmingham.io

Removing the `talk.` subdomain, what do you think?

What do you think of removing the talk. subdomain from the url of the community?

I always had ambition to have a little welcoming page hosted at the root domain. This would information about the site, links to each of the microsites (such as Planet Birmingham), etc… but this never happened. For whatever reason, I never got around to building it - and the more than i think about it, the more I realise that I probably won’t build it - simply because it’ll end up being nothing more than a splash page.

So, with this in mind, I’m now thinking that I want to remove the (ugly) talk. subdomain from the url, and serve up the forum directly from birmingham.io.

This is going to require some effort on my part to achieve - specifically talking nicely to @rythie about getting the SSL cert (or maybe switching to Let’s Encrypt?), and setting up some 301 redirects from the talk. subdomain, but I think we’ll end up with a far more attractive (and short) URL as a result.

What do you think? Is this a good idea or a waste of time?

Shrugs … doesn’t make any difference if it says talk. or www. does it? Vote leave.

3 Likes

I don’t think it makes much difference. The redirect from birmingham.io works anyway. In terms of security, it’s little more secure with talk.birmingham.io because otherwise session cookies are sent all the *.birmingham.io sites.

P.S. now I’ve looked at the cookies they ought to be SSL only cookies, but don’t appear to be.

1 Like

It’s not broken so no need to fix it :smiley:

4 Likes

Simplify :slight_smile:

And use Let’s Encrypt. I moved a bunch of domains to them a few weeks ago and now dine on champagne and caviar on the £s I saved.

1 Like

Thankfully, @rythie is letting me piggyback off his certificate (no idea how that works, but I’m thankful for it), but it’s good to know a suitable alternative exists (and is what I’m using for the Unknown Tales forum).

The certificate on this site already does the naked domain and wildcard, so there is no particular need to change it till at least August 2017. The naked domain currently goes to my server, so if you did want to change it, you have to move it to the talk.birmingham server.

1 Like

I agree with leaving it. The default mode is currently talk but what if it becomes a holographic transportation system? You’d just have to change everything again.

2 Likes

Proudly sponsored by Bytemark