PukkaTeam - Team presence for remote teams

Hi guys :slightly_smiling_face:,

Just thought I’d post a link to a project I’ve been working on for the past few months: https://pukkateam.com

If you’ve ever heard of Sqwiggle, it’s very similar to that.

The idea is that each team member has a photo taken every 30 seconds, and they’re all shown on a web page for your team to view. Giving you team presence while working remotely.

I’d love to hear some feedback on the product and answer any questions :+1:

(Stuart Langridge) #2

Heya! So, first thing: I open the front page, and the video says “Sorry Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here.” So that might need tweaking :slight_smile:

That’s strange, it’s showing for me. I’ll have a look into that now :slightly_smiling_face:

(Stuart Langridge) #4

Aha, I suspect it may be EFF Privacy Badger doing that. So, as you were. I’ll try to take a more detailed look at some point later. Nice idea, though. And a pretty good client list…

Ah, thanks for letting me know :+1:.

We had been in open beta for just over a year before launch and we racked up quite a list of users in that time!

(Andy Wootton) #6

The first time I ever saw a video camera on a PC, at a Staffs Uni BCS meeting it was doing something like this - a Connectix golf-ball parallel port, 8-bit grey-scale cam on Macs, using CU-SeeMe video-conferencing software. ISDN? A researcher was working with the Staffs Moorlands Tele-cottage association to combat the loneliness experienced by home-workers out on the moors. About a dozen tiny photos were shown along the bottom of the screen and you could mouse-click on a few to have a conversation or a meeting. I never understood why it wasn’t massive. Of course, I was technical back then. I wouldn’t understand if it happened now :smiley:

I’m not so keen on the ‘9-5 presentism’ aspect but if it gets untrusting managers on-side, who can’t tell if their staff have done anything, I guess it’s a force for good. Maybe integrate WebRTC? https://webrtc.org/.

Personally, I don’t really see it as software for checking on employees but rather to help remote workers feel less isolated and more a part of the team. I’d like to think (or hope) other companies prefer to use it this way too :slightly_smiling_face:.

1-to-1 and team conferencing are one of the next things we want to roll into the system - and we’ll most likely be using WebRTC for it. We’ve been trying to keep Safari/IE support with as many features as possible, but if I remember correctly WebRTC doesn’t support them :frowning:️.

(Stuart Langridge) #8

Aha! Safari on iOS now does webrtc. As of, like, two days ago admittedly, but it’s now there! IE is probably a lost cause, but Edge isn’t.

(Andy Wootton) #9

If you follow the link, the logos are shown. I didn’t notice they were missing because I’ve used Linux for decades, so they aren’t much use to me. WebRTC is another thing that feels like it should have done better but inter-op never seems top of any browser priority list, apart from Firefox and they’re clearly distracted.

Oh wow, I had no idea! This is really good news :smiley:

(Stuart Langridge) #11

Yup. https://webkit.org/blog/7763/a-closer-look-into-webrtc/ has the details. Cutting edge stuff. :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to iOS11 / High Sierra even more now :slight_smile: