Procedural, functional, object-oriented. What do we mean?

(Andy Wootton) #22

I don’t understand protocols. I’ve got enough new weird ideas I’m struggling to get my head around in Clojure, without worrying about things I’ve been warned off.

That sounds a bit too “Have you tried rebooting it?” for my taste.

I’m coming up to a bit in the book about ClojureScript. I’m quite interested in playing with that. I’d like to side-step JavaScript.

(Dee Vious) #23

Sounds like you’re making swift progress through that book and, side-stepping javascript has its benefits.
My first book was ‘The Joy of Clojure’. It’s a very good read, and it’s time that I went over it, again.

I’m not sure that protocols are weird, so much as they have a caveat attached to them.
The Onyx video explained why protocols were not employed in the solution, as if to say, any other solutions would’ve looked to employ protocols. The Onyx platform had an exceptional use-case, in that it needed to take account of run-time changes to code/data.

Now, if anybody can tell me everything to know about writing a bespoke SMT solver, in Clojure, I’d really appreciate it!

(Andy Wootton) #24

Not as swift as I’d like. I started with ‘Clojure for the Brave and True’ but I felt it was telling me what to do but not explaining why properly and the examples were weird. Living Clojure uses Alice in Wonderland rather than vampires & zombies but they make more sense to me. ClojureScript is surprisingly early in the book.

If you search “SMT Clojure” the first link is some guys notes on how to use an SMT library from Clojure.