Possible return of Hackference?

(Mike Elsmore) #1

Right, I’m doing my usual agonising over running the event again this year, but this year I thought I’d get some feedback from everyone?

If I do it again, what would people like to see? Any big changes?

Because I’m doing this as a contractor/freelancer now, would everyone find it reasonable if I bumped the ticket prices a little so I can afford to run it?

And if you think I shouldn’t do it again, that’s a valid bit of feedback that you should share (with the why).

(Alex Wilson) #2

Personally I’d be okay with that. You’ve been been very generous with pricing in the past.
Hackference is far more pleasant and fun than some conferences significantly bigger than it, which charge far too much, so you can afford to raise prices a bit. Especially if doing so allows you to keep rates for students and diversity scholars down.

Also: If there is anything that can be done to help organise or run the event, I (and am sure many others!) would love to help.

In terms of changes. I loved the generalist schedule. I learned weird and wonderful things about subjects I probably otherwise would never have looked at. If anything is to change, I hope it isn’t that.

Please keep up the great work!

(Max Woolf) #3

First off, all my comments are for the conf, not the hack as I’ve never been.

Yes, bump the pricing. It’s a very fairly priced conference considering its size. Those of us with the means/employers with the means should be subsidising diversity/student tickets.

I was less keen on the talks in 2017 compared to 2016. I came away in 2016 super pumped to learn new things and try new technologies and I can’t say the same happened in 2017. That said, I met more interesting people and had really interesting conversations in the breaks in 2017 due to the size of the venue which allowed for better networking.

So if you can mix the quality/mix/type of talks in 2016 with the really decent venue in 2017, 2018 will be amazing and I’ll be buying a more expensive ticket with a smile on my face :slight_smile:

Ditto on helping. If I can be of any help organsing, do let me know.

(Daniel Hollands) #4

I didn’t attend the conference last year, and probably won’t again (I just don’t enjoy them - in general that is, not just hackference), but I did attend the hack, and for the first time (of the three times I’ve been), I didn’t really know anyone there. Not that I knew a whole host of folks the first two times, but I knew and recognised enough people in attendance, and was able to team up with @DaveDev the first year, and with @pads the second. Just about the only person I knew this time was @TauOmicronMu (and your good self, of course)

Now I’m not saying this is a bad thing, so much, as I probably should stop being a wallflower, and just dive in, but that’s easier said than done.

But one way in which it might be made easier for folks like me is if the hackference slack was channel was made a more active part of the event before the event started. This would allow people to get to know one another, and maybe facilitate the easier forming of teams for people who don’t have one, along with some pre-planning on projects, etc…

Now it’s possible the slack was promoted prior to the event, but I didn’t know about it until the day, and I’m sure that a lot of others didn’t either. Of course promoting the slack isn’t the same as actually getting people to use it, but maybe there’s some gamification which can be employed to encourage it.

Anyway, that’s just about all I have for now. If I think of anything else, I’ll shout out.