Personal ale database

(Daniel Hollands) #1

So, this thread is for me to talk about ale - specifically, the ales that I like. For the past few months I’ve been exploring different ales, to immerse myself in the drink (seeing as I’ve gotten bored of all the fruity ciders I was drinking) - and have even build up quite a collection of bottles:

But I’ve not been keeping track of what I’ve actually enjoyed, so I’m no better prepared to buy good drinks than I was when I started (with the exception that I vaguely like Hobgoblin).

The plan is that I am to keep this post updated with all of the ales that I try, along with a simple note regarding if I liked it or not. Nothing too fancy really. If i was in anyway poetic I’d offer up descriptions of flavour and other elements of the drink - but I’m not, so you’ll have to make do with a simple Yes, I’d drink that again, or a No, I didn’t like that.

Yes, I’d drink that again

• Wychwood
  • Hobgoblin (I’ve had this several times, and I’ve always enjoyed it, with the exception of the time I had it on draft at Drop Forge - but I blame that on dodgy pipes or something)
  • Bah Humbug (I’m pretty upset that this is a seasonal drink, as I really enjoyed it, and the thought of having to wait until each Christmas before I can have it again disappoints me - but I guess they say that absence makes the heart grow fonder)
  • Badger
  • Fursty Ferret

No, I didn’t like that

• Leffe (I don’t know if this qualifies as ale or not, but I didn’t like it much at all)

(PS, I realise this has nothing to do with tech, but I figured that if I used the word Database somewhere in the post it’ll qualify - so there it was).

(Matt Machell) #2

Can the rest of us talk about ale here too? Cos various among us can get quite boring on that topic.

If you want to expand your bottle collection, a trip down to Cotteridge Wines in south Brum is well worth your time. Both for the massive array of bottled ale and the tap room out back. https://twitter.com/CotteridgeWines

Two Towers Brewery tour
(Daniel Hollands) #3

Please do, I’d welcome any suggestions and other discussions on the subject.

To start off such a discussion, allow me to say that, thus far, a lot of the bottles I’ve picked up have been based on the artwork on the labels. I think that Wychwood and Badger have some amazing art on their bottles, and this seems to be a common theme among ales.

(Andy Wootton) #4

In my experience, the better the draught ale, the more sensitive it is to how well it is kept. That’s why bad pubs are full of lager. It’s hard to damage.

(Matt Andrews) #5

Leffe is a Belgian beer, I don’t think you’d describe it as an ale. I’m a fan, it’s got a strong flavour though and if you’re not used to Belgian beer (strong flavours, lots of malt, very high ABV %) it might be a bit much!

Also: there’s a brilliant app called Untappd which is specifically for doing this (eg. logging beer you’ve drank and rating it), I use it all the time. Worth a look!

I’d recommend giving Fullers’ ales a go if you haven’t already. If you’re enjoying the Wychwood stuff then Fullers are probably the biggest and arguably best proponent of that style (eg. strong English ale). Their ESB is great, London Pride is a classic if a bit middle-of-the-road, and they do a fantastic London Porter too (great in this cold weather). Their take on IPA, Bengal Lancer, is decent too.

(Will Parker) #6

I was about to mention Untappd. My last office all used to have the app and it turned into a game sometimes for who could collect the most obscure ale to add to their app. I’m not a massive beer drinker but I’ll occasionally go to a beer & cider festival and it’s great for tracking the stuff you’ve drank even after the 8/9/10th pint.

(Steve Pitchford) #7

There are many forms of Leffe, which did you find objectionable?

(Daniel Hollands) #8

I’ve signed up: https://untappd.com/user/LimeBlast - nothing in there yet, but I guess this gives me a good excuse to pop out and get some ale tonight :beer:

This one:

As you can see, I have a spare bottle - having brought two of them before I realised I didn’t like it.

(Andy Wootton) #9

Drink it in a wine glass to change your perception of what you are drinking. It’s a sip and savour beer. Check if it says anything about serving temperature too. It can make a big difference to some continental beers.

Oh, look: http://www.leffe.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_ogivebg/public/leffe_blonde_ogive_1.png?itok=UJCeUIsG

This is my local beer for local people. It says the web site launches today http://www.beowulfbrewery.com/

(Daniel Hollands) #10

Ah, so that’s one of my problems - I don’t sip and savour - I take huge mouthfuls and guzzle them down in one.

(Steve Pitchford) #11

Sound advice.

Wine glass is essential for Leffe ( unless you have a leffe glass ), as is proper refrigeration - you don’t want a luke warm leffe in a straight glass.

Personally, if I were you, I would give it another go, make sure it’s been in the fridge overnight, use a wide rimmed wine glass to serve it as @Woo suggests, and serve it with a dessert of crème brulée, alternating sips, spoonfull of dessert and moments of contemplation in equal measure. THEN if you don’t like it, at least you’ve given one of my favorite ales a fair crack of the whip :wink:

(Steve Pitchford) #12

Also, is this thread sufficiently non-tangental to enquire as to whether a group trip to two towers might be appropriate?

(Daniel Hollands) #13

If you wanted to arrange such a trip, I’d be happy to tag along.

(Will Parker) #14

What is this two towers you speak of? I wouldn’t mind an excuse to pop back to Birmingham. It’s been a while for me.

(Steve Pitchford) #15

http://twotowersbrewery.co.uk/

(Andy Wootton) #16

There is of course also their new tap house which I have yet to visit.

Look at this list @LimeBlast http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/two-towers-brewery-buys-gunmakers-10386046

(Daniel Hollands) #17

Yup, this is just around the corner from my flat - I’ve not been yet, but would happily venture in at some point.

(Steve Pitchford) #18

I have taken onboard your hint, and expressed this as a new thread elsewhere here:

(Andy Wootton) #19

I’ve just discovered they’re serving “Vulcanised Black IPA”. Dark Pale? I’m going to B&MI tonight but worried that beery slumber and snoring might disrupt @mattpointblank’s flow.

(Daniel Hollands) #20

I had a Fyne Ales’ Highlander this weekend - I think it’s the best ale I’ve ever drunk. I gave it the full 5 stars on untapped.

I have no idea what it was about it that I enjoyed, all I know is that I did, and I plan on buying a crate for special occasions.