Ottitia - My Very Basic MVP

(Daveyon Mayne) #21

+1 for the Loveable.

(Daveyon Mayne) #22

I have changed the website to what buffer did in their early days. At this point, I need to see if this is a business or not and do some promotion to get few emails.

(Andrew Yates) #23

There’s a great post by Joel that details the very early steps of Buffer including this original Buffer homepage and the next steps after that… https://blog.bufferapp.com/idea-to-paying-customers-in-7-weeks-how-we-did-it

(Daveyon Mayne) #24

Yes, thanks. I have seen that post. @rythie had posted this in another post: How BACs works for web apps:

(Steve Jalim) #25

Also: think through the worst that could happen. If you’re a sole trader/not incorporated, do you have a house or other assets you could lose if sued, etc?

(Daveyon Mayne) #26

I will definitely open up a private ltd company.

(Steve Jalim) #27

Sounds wise to me.

(Tired Saturday brain dump coming:)

However, i agree with @steve_pitchford that I don’t see enough of a planned business here. I think you should do more pre-launch research and market testing before going to the lengths of incorporation and a dedicated bank account in order to launch something real and institutionally ‘safe’.

To quote Steve Blank: “Get out of the building” - have you spent time asking people on both sides of the transaction about that they want? That’s a good enough first pass and needs no live site at all; don’t wait for people to organically arrive or find the site via marketing and sign up as your feedback - you’ll be waiting too long).

You’ve got another marketplace here, raising a few thoughts:

1. this one is pegged at a significantly higher spend (and therefore a harder sell / greater innate friction) than Storklancer. I, too, expected the MVP to be that - this one was a surprise :slight_smile: This is going to be harder work, even if the commissions you make are higher. I doubt this is a ‘build it and they will come’ thing.

2. marketplaces are ‘so hot right now’ - but that doesn’t mean they are easy. Getting enough supply to meet demand and enough demand to encourage supply (‘market liquidity’) is a significant challenge. Marketplaces can stagnate quickly and are hard to pull back. Do you have connections in the construction industry tonl seed at least one side of things?

3. that name - i can’t say it, I can’t type it after briefly seeing it, I don’t know what it means when I hear it. MyBuilder, for instance, doesn’t have tgiuse challenges. I’d rename it.

Sorry to sound so down on thibgs, @SylarRuby - it’s GREAT you’re shipping something. What you’re doing at the mo definitely reminds me of me :slight_smile:

(Daveyon Mayne) #28

While I was doing my electrical course, I told my tutor about the love of building websites. He did say to me that I should build something to combat rogue traders ( I thought he was joking as they always make jokes). While building Storklancer, he phoned me with good news that I had passed my exams and asked about the idea he gave back in 2013.

I know what I’m building is insane and comes with tons of legalities but I’ll make it happen. I am no longer coding, I’m doing my market research and see if I can collect email addresses then take it to the next step. I am really doing it the Buffer way.

(Daveyon Mayne) #29

Doing a few marketing research and this seems to be getting people to give me their email address: https://medium.com/@MirMayne/idea-web-app-that-gets-rid-of-cowboy-builders-fb83c169dcf1#.a7f16bsrl

This feedback strikes me the most:

Your concept would be worth testing, particularly as a white-labelled back-end-as-a-service for procurement/RFP marketplaces. I am happy to run your concept by a few of my colleagues in the building trade for market validation.

My next goal is to meet people face to face, which I hate doing hahaha

(Steve Pitchford) #30

One of the things that left me head scratching was your use of the word “employer” as the person seeking to get someone in to get the job done. Employer - to me at least, suggests some employer - employee relationship, which seems to complicate things with tax and employers liability?

Is there another word for a homeowner who pays a contractor to do some work?

(Daveyon Mayne) #31

Well anyone that hires someone to do a job temporarily, part time, etc is really an employer. That is the legal side. If you want me to do a job for you, you are classed as an employer. For your safety you’d check to see if I have public liability insurance in place.

(Steve Jalim) #32

Is there another word for a homeowner who pays a contractor to do some work?

Client.

(Daveyon Mayne) #33

I’ll update the post and website to that.

(Steve Jalim) #34

Yes, insurance, definitely definitely.

I’ve had a lot of building work done over the past few years and - if it helps your spec - I’d also want to see:

• details of what that insurance covers - eg, some policies specifically exclude demolition (without rebuilding something in its place)
  • any Gas Safe and relevant electrician qualifications the builder holds (with the default being: nothing declared means they can’t touch my gas or elec)
  • verifiable testimonies / ratings from previous clients, ideally with a way to indirectly get in touch with them if needed
  • photos of pas work (ideally with the builder/their van in at least one shot)
  • whether the builder is VAT registered (this is a big cost factor if a builder has to go VAT registered mid-build - 20% cost increase!)
  • Whether the builder is a sole trader or a LTD company, partnership etc – this helps me check them out in more detail (via DueDil etc)
  • DBS checks (formerly CRB checks) for you and your team (especially if I’ve got kids who will be around when you are around)

Am sure there’s more, but that’s what comes to mind immediately

(Daveyon Mayne) #35

Here is what I have done so far. I have changed the registration path to request a quote then sign up at the same time (@LimeBlast).

No image will be displayed but not an issue. I want for you to test the functionality of the app.

Tradesmen say it’s too much admin work (to generate a milestone so I may change that bit up.)

Only one company to a quote. Your postcode is important to the web app. Ok Im tired. See link: http://www.ottitia.com

Please tell me all faults.

You’ll need to log in as a company to test it out. here are two:

demo1@gmail.com
password: demodemo

demo2@gmail.com
password: demodemo

As a customer, enter your postcode and select a trade. Only two companies: one in birmingham and the other in London.

(Richard Cunningham) #36

Where it says “satisfactory” it ought to say “satisfaction”

This is wrong:
"With over 10 years experienced vetted contractors. "
perhaps you mean:
“Vetted contractors with over 10 years experience”

This is also wrong:
"100% safe deposits of your money. "
The grammar is wrong, but I’m not sure I’d even say it without backing up how it is safe.

“You’ll hire a great company with either” - what does this mean?

Bottom right " inventment" should be “investment”, I’d assume.

“No Rogue Trader” should be “No Rogue Traders”

TBH, not even sure that’s all the mistakes on the front page. Even just seeing a couple of mistakes, would make me turn away from a site like this.

Logged into the dashboard briefly, not sure what is going on. If I were a new user, I’d expect some sort of onboarding/welcome page to get me started, but maybe these accounts have already done this?

(Daveyon Mayne) #37

Actually, I havent let a family member proof read it for me. I must admit Im weak in that department. I’ll try to change it.

A welcome page for a newly logged in user to demonstrate how it works is beyond my knowledge. But I’ll see how to do that. All I ask is for you to use it and tell me what you all think.

At this point I can refactor to make it more user friendly. But yea, thanks for the feedback.

(Daveyon Mayne) #38

Whenever I’m playing a new game, it walks me through the process/steps of how to play the game. Is there something similar for websites?

(Daniel Newns) #39

Perhaps this could be useful

http://introjs.com/

it allows you to setup a little intro and steps the user through the features of the page, or perhaps even this http://bootstraptour.com/

(Daveyon Mayne) #40

Thanks. I’ll have a read.