Notifications of mentions on Twitter and/or Facebook

(Daniel Hollands) #1

I’m looking for some help from someone with some experience in social media marketing - is there any way in which I’m able to receive an email (or other notification) when someone mentions “birmingham.io”?

I’m not talking about if someone puts @BirminghamIO in their tweet (I already get notifications for that), but rather people that, say, use the hashtag #BirminghamIO, use the phrase birmingham.io or maybe link to the site.

An example of why I think this is important is that, If I had not been for @rythie’s mention here:

Of a tweet by @sil (a nice reinforcement that I was possibly doing something right):

I also would not have seen this tweet (a notification that I still had things that I was doing wrong, but could be fixed):

And so, because of this, I’d be keen on keeping an eye on what is being said - but I don’t know too much about social media marketing - and so I’m hoping that someone here will be able to help me out.

(Dave Adlakha-Russell) #2

I don’t know of any free way (other than building something yourself) but there are paid services that exist for alerting you on keywords, urls and so on like Twilert, TweetBeep and Tweetalarm.

Even then, the second and third examples given would be hard to detect.

(Daniel Hollands) #3

That’s a bit disappointing, but understandable I guess. I don’t mind spending money if I can justify the value in it, but this isn’t enough justification.

The 2nd example was actually the first in the chain of tweets. Although we’re seeing the twitter shortened URL, said URL actually points to http://birmingham.io/ - so I’m guessing anything which is able to scan for links being posted should have picked that up?

As for the 3rd example, this was a reply to the 2nd, so I’d not have needed to know about it directly, I instead would have seen it in the chain of replies from the first tweet.

(Dave Adlakha-Russell) #4

I should probably point out that I don’t really get social media and I don’t even use twitter so maybe somebody will come along for a proper answer for you :slight_smile:

(Daniel Hollands) #5

Hahaha, you and me both :slight_smile: Thank you for your answer anyway :wink:

(Stuart Langridge) #6

I bet ifttt can search twitter and generate emails.

(Daniel Hollands) #7

I think, once upon a time, IFTTT had a lot more power with Twitter actions - but various terms of service and things like that has whittled down it’s power.

By the looks of it, you’re limited to the following triggers:

• New tweet by you
  • New tweet by you with hashtag
  • New tweet by you in area
  • New link by you
  • New follower
  • New favorite tweet by you

(Stuart Langridge) #8

That sucks. Search RSS feeds are dead too. Hat up and build a thing with the api; should be about ten lines of JS or python :wink:

(Daniel Hollands) #9

Maybe I could build something in Ruby… heck, maybe that could be the end goal of the Study Seminar?

(Stuart Langridge) #10

Could do. I personally think ruby was sent by the devil to ruin hacking, but not everyone agrees :wink:

(Richard Cunningham) #11

Try zapier - I bet that does it

(Daniel Hollands) #12

It does indeed, thank you :smiley:

(Stuart Langridge) #13

So Zapier is just the same as ifttt, basically? I didn’t know about it…

(Daniel Hollands) #14

So far as I can tell, yes - seems to offer the same thing, but with some additional triggers. Thus far I’ve just set-up a couple of searches, with the effects being emails sent to me.