New Year’s (Learning) Resolutions

(Daniel Hollands) #1

It’s getting to the time of year when we look back at the past 12 months and reflect on what we’ve achieved. But it’s also the time when we look forward at the next 12 months, and decide what we want to do with them.

It’s the time of year when you’ll hear people make New Year’s Resolutions. They’ll declare that they’re going to visit the gym twice a week, or quit smoking, or any number of different things (and this time, they really mean it).

So let me ask you this: if you was to make a New Years Learning Resolution - that is, a resolution to improve your knowledge of something – what would it be?

Personally, I’m getting to the point where I can’t afford to keep avoiding JavaScript, and I just need to learn it properly. I’m not talking about just jQuery, but the fundamentals of JavaScript, and all that it entails.

So that’s me – what do you want to learn? Let us know below, and we’ll see what we can do as a community to help one another with their goals.

New years resolutions
Looking for inspiration for a JavaScript project
(Stuart Langridge) #2

You oughtn’t to be talking about jQuery at all, old chap. Learn JavaScript. Then, if you need it, add a bit of jQuery; you probably won’t, these days. The world is a lot nicer than it was when John first built jQuery; almost everything it does well and conveniently is now actually in browsers. Once you get the joke of http://vanilla-js.com you’re ready. :slight_smile: