New Venture - Get Hired Without A CV

(Daveyon Mayne) #1

I’ve read there was a similar startup but not sure what they are up to these days (2017) but I’m sure what I’m about to do is very different.

getzired-postad

Zired, a place where hiring managers give you tests to complete where they determine if they like your code, are a fit for the job, has the basic knowledge of x language etc. It’s the same as if you went in for a test but that “test” replaces your CV. I got my first job without the need for a CV.

Front-end:

React. I like react because I have a head start using it.

Back-end:

Rails 5. With Rails 5 I can easily mock out v1 (already have) of Zired.

Launch Date:

Within a month from now. Kids will slow me down a bit.

Subscribers (as of this post):

Another Job Board?

No. Peter Thiel’s book, Zero To One, has opened up my eyes and how I approach to build the next thing. Many people do not have any sort of portfolio to put on their CV and portfolio rules over any CV, so I came up with, instead of “apply with your CV”, you’ll see a test to complete. Complete that test, send me a link to the repo and a live website showing what was asked and you maybe in for an interview. That’s Zired.

(Dom Barnes) #2

Personally I’m not a fan of the idea of setting homework just to be considered for a job. You’re requiring people to have a GitHub account, and understanding of devops to deploy the site. A react site without a backend to provide an API isn’t much. So now you need two whole systems that you can deploy somewhere. Now you need to know docker or Heroku or AWS and maybe that’s outside your realm as a front end engineer?
Who’s making the test? You or them? Is it more a set of instructions and a form you complete with links to the results? Or are you building a Q&A System in it?
Just some considerations

(Daveyon Mayne) #3

Glad you’ve asked, @dombarnes. The concept is missed or I may not understand you correctly?

The aim of Zired is for you, the hiring manager, to set these tasks. Not Zired. You say to me, build me X that does X. I, the job seeker, will then send you a live working demo and the code to my repo (github). By doing that, I’ve demonstrated I can do deployments and push code to Github etc. Heroku will be recommended as it’s free.

What’s great is that job seekers can use these tasks as proven way of working on real world projects that you can view their profile and see what jobs they’ve previously applied for and the tasks.

This is mainly targeted towards students or someone just starting out as a developer.

(Daveyon Mayne) #4

It’s been a long and winded process to get the home page for public viewing for Zired. Orginally built in React and Nodejs, I’ve decided to change it to use Rails.

Zired – By changing the way we apply for jobs, a way someone without proof of experience can prove themselves that they are capable of doing a job they’re applying for. By saying “give me something to build and I’ll do it since I have no work experience”.

Anyone can put on their CV that they have worked on a website only to find out they’ve lied about it, wasting your time with hiring process etc. Profiles on Zired are proof that this person actually built/written that code for a job they were applying for. That code was for a test set out by the hiring manager/recruiter.

Zired is not a replacement job board platform, its mainly for people who want a chance to prove themselves. Zired can, however, be used as a regular job board where candidates apply by completing small tests you’ve asked them to complete. The same test you’d give at a job interview.

The homepage is a work in progress. No login for you at this time as Im still polishing up few loose ends. Ladies and gents, I show you the homepage of my startup, Zired: http://staging.vsrgdm32wp.us-east-1.elasticbeanstalk.com/

Stack:

• Ruby/Rails 5
  • StimulusJS
  • Redis
  • Sidekiq

(Jon) #5

Technical tasks to help people prove themselves are neutral in my opinion - they can be used well, and they can be abused. If we discourage their use, then good self-taught people have one less thing to convince prospective employers they are worth a try. Us folks with more commercial experience sometimes forget how hard it is to get experience on a CV when one has none to start with.

I think tech tests should be small tasks, and they don’t have to involve code. For example, a one page diagram showing how a candidate would design a system based on micro-services would be useful in my view - the point is to work out how people think. For example, does this software engineer have an appreciation for architecture? Is that frontender willing to get stuck into a database if they have to? etc.

On the flip side, I once applied to a well-regarded tech social enterprise in London, and spent some 12 hours on the demo project they asked for, and all I got was a form email for my trouble. I was quite hopping mad at the time, and for me it really tarnished their image as opportunistic time wasters.