Need some feedback on our online agile course

(Sam Fitzpatrick) #1

My names Sam Fitzpatrick and I work for Magic Milestones based in the Jewellery Quarter. We’ve recently launched an online course for people looking to learn about agile.

I thought I’d share it with you guys as you may find it useful and hopefully you can give us feedback too. The demo course is free.

http://thepowertobuild.com/courses/try-courses/

(Andy Wootton) #2

I just had a very quick look at the front page but I’m interested in seeing more.

I’d change “An introduction to using Agile principles and methods, including Scrum and Kanban in particular.”

to “An introduction to using Agile principles and methods, including the Scrum framework and Kanban [I’m not sure] in particular.”, maybe “workflow” or “change process”? It can mean lots of things.

People can be insanely pedantic about Scrum being referred to as a method. I can be insanely pedantic about any method being called a methodology but you passed that test :smile:

(Jon) #3

Feedback, in case it’s useful: I’m interested enough to read the first chapter, but not interested enough to go through a sign-up process. I appreciate you need to get conversions, but I wonder if offering the first bit of something without sign-up might improve retention? Have you checked your bounce rate here?

(Daniel Hollands) #4

Hey @SamFitzpatrick, welcome to the community, why not come and tell us some more about yourself?

I’m very interested in learning more about agile, because what little I do know about it sounds really useful, so I’ve signed up for the demo course and will give it a bash.

(Jim Gumbley) #5

Take a look at our youtube channel!

(Sam Fitzpatrick) #6

Thanks for your replies all!

@Woo, very good point… the text on pages will definitely need to be optimised anyway as I’m yet to do some SEO!

@halfer, thanks for your suggestion, I will have a chat with my team about offering the demo (or at least part?) without requiring a sign up. The analytics weren’t showing anything other than spam referrals at the end of last week. Digging deeper and using filters today though I can see the bounce rate is 69%, so definitely needs a plan!

@LimeBlast Will head over later this afternoon! Let me know how you get on with the demo and if you want to try the full course I’m sure I can work something out :+1:

(Daniel Hollands) #7

Excellent, thank you - I was going to tackle it this weekend, but other commitments (having fun with my friends) took precedence :wink: I’ll chip away at it this week :smile:

(Sam Fitzpatrick) #8

Good stuff :smile:

I’ve just read this article about teaching agile to a group of skeptical executives using lego, its a good read!

(Andy Wootton) #9

It lost my ‘heart and mind’ a bit at “agile, a product development methodology”

And again at “Legos”, when Lego is clearly a collective noun, like all Scandinavian words ending in “o”. Maybe.

Finally, at using a physical product for the example, so what they are actually demonstrating is the advantage of getting a good, clear specification and building prototypes. Luckily they were managers so easy to fool with the promise of a magic bullet :smile:

(Jon) #10

Clearly they are referring to LegOS, the new Linux distribution for ARM processors.

(Stuart Langridge) #11

The LEGO® people get a bit cross about that sort of thing. http://www.lego.com/en-gb/legal/legal-notice/fair-play:

(Andy Wootton) #12

Or Legolas, the tallest dwarf.

Sorry @SamFitzpatrick. You caught me at the end of a heated debate about Agile & Lean on another channel. I was in full-on debunking mode.

Welcome to the community. I’m not always a git. (“He IS”, they say.)

(Sam Fitzpatrick) #13

haha! no problem @Woo. I wouldn’t mind having a read of said debate if its public? Got a link?

(Andy Wootton) #14

Then maybe they should have stuck to making just bricks and left kids to imagine a bit more. I’m British, I make things out of Lego. My son has made art out of Lego. He made a child cry at his degree show. I was SO proud. Though his was not the work most obviously unsuitable for children, by a long way.

(Andy Wootton) #15

It’s the ‘Lean & Agile’ group. There are many such debates. I use it to keep me mentally fit while I’m not working and this is for my ‘work coffee machine chats’. Otherwise I’d be a hermit.

Most people are there discussing ideas and trying to learn or improve the techniques. Those people are great but there always seem to be a few who either want to show off how much they know without adding anything (never the ones who DO know - best ignored.) or are only there to say “Agile is rubbish”, without having tried it.

(Andy Wootton) #16

I think it may have been this one and I’m not just pointing to it now because someone has just quoted me and said how right I was :smile:

https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/37631-6042708142398152707#commentID_discussion%3A6042708142398152707%3Agroup%3A37631

There was ‘a moment’ in this conversation when I realised that there’s ‘no such thing as a bug’ in Agile. Some of the others haven’t caught up yet. I simplify: there’s no definition of a bug. It’s negotiable, along with scope. Don’t tell any PMs, it will assplode their heads.

(Marc Cooper) #17

Hmm One of those conversation where folk are trying to turn agile in to a strictly defined process.

If there’s a bug – in any software – fix it. That’s the benefit of continuous delivery and short delivery cycles. If you are building a backlog of bugs then you aren’t very agile. It’s in the word :wink:

btw, Andy, I noticed that you called folk techies? Odd term that. Limiting. Surely developers would be better (if that’s what you mean).

(Andy Wootton) #18

I’m slightly concerned that we’re hijacking @SamFitzpatrick’s thread and should keep this discussion for later but it’s a bit entangled in the rigging so:
You can’t ‘do’ a set of principles. I think agile always turns into process, though not necessarily procedure. Otherwise, you’re just making stuff up as you go.

My main point was that there is no clear definition between what is a bug or a required feature in agile, without a definition of done, because there is no fixed scope. A bug exists if the user-story does not meet the definition of done. The questioner clarified that his question was ‘what happens if you find a bug after the story is declared done?’ The answer is that “you can’t”. If you find it later then, in Warerfall terminology, ‘it wasn’t in the spec’ so should go on the backlog, as a new story/task with new tests/DoD. The bug was ‘in the spec’, so the customer is asking for something that wasn’t agreed to. Effectively, the tests/dod specify the scope of a user-story.

In Scrum, the Product Owner sets priorities so we may not fix all of the bugs. Agile means to move and change direction fast. It doesn’t mean you won’t drop anything or that the PO will let you collect the injured.

Yes ‘techies’ was limiting, to a set of people who may be both a subset and a superset of developers. I was talking about people who care more about the technology than the business problem or its solution, the To-Be process, whether implemented in software procedures or humans.ñ

(Sam Fitzpatrick) #19

No hijacking going on here, @Woo. I like to see a healthy discussion around agile and, as you said, the subjects are well entwined.

(Daniel Hollands) #20

I’ve PMed you some feedback, @SamFitzpatrick, I hope you find it useful.