Mid-Level PHP Developer

(Adrian Toal) #1

Since 2004 we’ve been busily designing, developing and fine-tuning our email marketing solution to the point where agencies across the world now rely on Instiller to manage thousands of clients and to send 200 million emails every month.

Our client base is growing all the time and our focus is to carry on developing great new features for them all.

As a result, we’re looking for a creative web developer to join our friendly and hard-working team.

The right person will have a broad interest in web technologies and will be able to hit the ground running. We’re looking for someone that’s ready for a new challenge and is passionate about improving their web development skills.

The PHP Developer position is full-time working from our office near the NEC.

What we’re looking for
If you consider yourself to be an PHP developer with good experience and think you could join our team and fit right in then we want to hear from you.

We also want you to have solid skills in these areas

• 2 years PHP development experience
  • Web application development experience
  • MySQL - Percona
  • JQuery
  • Linux and command line
  • Agile development methodology

Even better if you have any of these

• HTML5 & CSS3
  • Responsive design

What we’re offering
On top of a starting salary between £20 and £25k based on your experience, you’ll also benefit from:

• An awesome laptop (running Linux) and 2 massive screens
  • 25 days holiday each year
  • Vitality health care
  • Pension scheme
  • Life cover
  • Fully stocked Kitchen full of tasty food
  • Relaxed and friendly office environment

How to apply
Send us an email along with a CV to hello@instiller.co.uk

(Richard Cunningham) #2

Is £20-25k really a “competitive salary” for someone with 3 years experience? You seem to have posted the same job a year ago with a range of £28-35k.

(Kevin Carmody) #3

brexit cuts …

(Will Parker) #4

Completely agree. £20-25k is what you should expect to spend on a uni grad with no commercial experience or maybe a summer placement etc.

If I had that skill set I’d be looking for more like £32-35k.

(Adrian Toal) #5

Hi rythie, it’s not the same job.

We’re looking for someone a little lower down this time as we filled that other position last year so we’ve amended the description a little to more accurately reflect what we’re looking for.

(Andy Wootton) #6

@aditoal Do you really want a developer with experience of “Agile development methodology” (the study of methods) or of “an Agile development method” which is more common? The word ‘methodology’ is often misused but its original, distinct meaning is valuable and necessary.

Do you have any preference between methods? I don’t think it matters which but it’s worth stating if you do. I think developers either pick up agility within a week or they take a very long time because it doesn’t suit their internal wiring.

(Marc Cooper) #7

You’re not wrong. Many folk are averse to failure (or getting it wrong, if failure is too strong), which is a keystone of agile. You must be prepared to fail, and the environment must be safe to do that (i.e. no blame).

And you are also correct that agile is not a methodology, even placing pedantry to one side. I believe it’s more an attitude, approach, or state of mind. There is no list of check boxes to tick that make you agile.

(Adrian Toal) #8

@Woo fair point, it could be worded better. We use scrum but there are other methods and what we’re looking for is someone that has experience with any of those methods.

(Andy Wootton) #9

I don’t think it’s pedantry (this time.) We don’t need ‘methodology’ as an alternative form for method but we don’t have another short word for ‘the study of methods’. We’ll have to invent one and that will be even more confusing.

I disagree with almost everyone on this. I think agile is a self-modifying function, containing another function that returns value. In the case of software development, valuable software is the form it takes.