Hi. I’m looking to find two mid-level Java engineers to join Click Travel. We’re based in Alpha Tower in the middle of Birmingham but encourage remote working too. The spec is below, but please ask me whatever you like about the role and our dev environment! Applications to email@example.com please.
Matt (Head of Product & Engineering at Click)
You’ll be joining one of our agile engineering teams building AWS-hosted micro-services using domain-driven design and a continuous delivery pipeline. You’ll be building the next generation of our award-winning travel platform. It’s a fast-paced environment, you must be agile and ready for a challenge.
Coding primarily in Java 8, you will need to be comfortable with full-stack development; the whole team shares responsibility for delivering their product into the live environment, fully scalable, fully tested, fully supported. The platform you will build on is an event-driven micro-service architecture, with a continuous delivery pipeline making use of Bamboo and Cloud Formation, so you must be able to handle asynchronous and eventually-consistent concepts in your code.
We give engineering teams the autonomy to choose the technologies they need to deliver their products, so you will be comfortable with seeking out and adapting new innovations to meet your needs. You’ll also need to work with our other engineering teams to incorporate their innovations and share your own with them. Some of the technologies we already use that you may be asked to turn your hand to include: DynamoDB, AWS Lambda, AngularJS, Node.js, Lucene.
We use GitHub for source control, Jira for agile workflow and Slack for collaboration. Many of our engineers choose to work either partly or entirely remotely, we’re flexible.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in software development;
- A solid understanding of software engineering best practices, object oriented design, and design patterns such as MVC;
- Experience designing, implementing and supporting highly scalable web applications in Java;
- Nothing from low level hacking to large scale design intimidates you;
- Experience with developing distributed services; web services protocols (HTTP, REST); XML, JSON;
- Experience with automated testing methodologies and frameworks, such as JUnit;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to thrive in a cross-functional team on business critical projects;
- A passion for software development and a commitment to delivering a great user experience;
- An insatiable appetite for learning new skills and constantly improving existing ones;
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of noSQL databases;
- Familiarity with Git, Gradle, Node.js, Bamboo, Jira
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (EC2, SES, SQS, ElastiCache, DynamoDB, CloudSearch);
- An understanding of Domain Driven Design (DDD);
- Awareness of the challenges of an event-driven service-oriented architecture;
- Knowledge of Continuous Delivery practices and principles.
- Experience in the travel industry