[looking for staff] Embedded Software Engineer

(lnpurnell) #1

Job Summary

We are a small growing company that has developed fast charging battery technology and is looking to grow our team.

We are looking for a experienced embedded engineer to join the team based in Birmingham, UK.

The company is growing fast giving many opportunities for personal career development in addition to a wide variety of new projects to work on. Petalite is a small company so this will give you a big chance to develop yourself and your ideas as an engineer compared to working with a large company.

We also offer an EMI option scheme for full time employees to gain shares in our business.

The successful candidate for this Embedded Engineer role will have a strong team leading approach to their work and a good grounding in micro-controller and ARM based MCU products .

The projects will require a creative approach to the challenges in the electronics industry. The candidate must be able to deliver to agreed time-scales and be accountable for their tasks.

Please send us your CV and cover letter to find out more and join our fast growing team and make a difference.

Responsibilities and Duties

Role

Design and implement software of embedded devices and systems from requirements to production and commercial deployment
Come up with unique solutions to enhance our unique technology
Design, develop, code, test and debug existing software
Review code and design
Interface with hardware design and dev
Qualifications and Skills

Skills, Experience and Qualifications

Ideally you should have:

Experience with ARM Cortex 32 bit with extensive micro controller experience
Experience with the C language and compilers
Experience in Firmware and hardware design for ARM MCU’s
Optional Skills:

Experience in power supply and SMPS design
Experience in Circuitstudio or Altium Designer
C++
C#
Encryption AES 128 bit coding
Arm Cortex M3 & M0 Processors
Interfacing to SPI, I2C, CAN
Automotive programming experience
Experience:

Experience in hands-on development and troubleshooting on embedded targets
Proven experience in firmware embedded systems design
Adequate knowledge of reading schematics and data sheets for components
Strong documentation and writing skills
Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
Excellent communication skills and ability to work within a small team
Benefits

We are looking for someone who has had experience in a large company and would like to try a small business to progress fast and expand your ideas.

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: £23,000.00 to £40,000.00

Website Petalite Website

(Jon) #2

Looks like an interesting product! I have an interest in battery technology as I’m a committed e-biker (bought bike number 4 last year, a Scott E-genius with Bosch electrics). Being able to charge in 15 minutes would be great for this segment of the market - when on the road, one could just pop into a cafe/pub and borrow a plug socket for a full charge! Bosch batteries generally take about 4 hours to charge with the standard charger.

I appreciate market availability is some years off, but I’m curious: is this more power efficient? Or is charging at this speed power-hungry? I wonder, if it takes a standard 150W charger 4 hours to fully charge a standard battery, if the charge time is 1/16th of that, is the power requirement 16 times larger? That’d be a 2.4KW charger, if so.

(lnpurnell) #3

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your interest!

We are currently running at 90% efficiency on our systems which exceed alot of industry products at the moment. Actually the same amount of power is consumed in a 15 minute charge as a 4 hour charge if they are both 90% efficiency so our 600w charger consumes around 600w!

Actually two of our chargers can be put together to have 1200watts of power and still be used on a normal power outlet :slight_smile:

Do you know anyone who would be interested in the role?

Thanks,

Leigh

(Jon) #4

Great stuff, sounds good. I will sit tight and wait for it to come to market :smiley_cat:

Sadly I cannot help on the role - I’m a hardware ignoramus :monkey: and I don’t know any hardware folks.

(Andy Wootton) #5

I’m a bit confused by that answer @inpurnel. The whole power generation industry misused the word “power” horribly though, so I’m used to being confused. They sell us kW-Hours, which is energy but it actually matters here because you are talking about Watts, which really is power.

When we charge a battery, we are loading it with potential energy, like putting petrol in a car, though an internal combustion engine fails to get anywhere near the potential of the fuel. Power in Watts is a unit of energy per second. If you are going to load energy 4 times as fast, at the same efficiency, I don’t see how it doesn’t need about 4 times as much power.

Isn’t 90% efficiency a ratio of the amount of energy bought to the amount you get out of the battery? It is obviously much better than you would get with an internal combustion engine but we haven’t got as far as moving the car yet, if this is a measure of battery efficiency. I think the charger values you quote are the maximum rating but surely the speed of charge is limited by the ability of the cells to absorb energy so you’d have to pay for at least as many kW-hours and I’d expect it to be a little more, as convenience tax.

(Alex Russell) #6

In danger of furthering the off-topicness of this thread, I just want to say that while I agree the quoted numbers (or is it the wording) don’t appear to make absolute sense at a quick glance, think @woo you need to consider that the efficiency being spoken about here is probably the efficiency of the charger and not the battery itself, so the 90% quoted will be the efficiency of power drained from the grid going into the battery as opposed to power coming out of the grid and eventually out of the battery into the motor. So, I doubt it includes the battery’s own inefficiencies in getting power out and then whatever inefficiencies lie in the bike and motor and whatnot.

(lnpurnell) #7

Hi Andy,

You are correct that if it charges 4 times as fast it would consume 4 times as much power. But you then forgot that a different charger would take 4 times as long. So the overall power consumption in kWh would level out.

Leigh

(lnpurnell) #8

If you bring the time element into the equation then it all equals out. :smile:

(lnpurnell) #9

If anyone knows someone who would be interested in learning more and has skills in C programming or C# then let us know :slight_smile:

We may also be having a role coming up for IT infrastructure development and networking as we need some work doing with GUI interface and remote login,

Thanks,

Leigh.