[looking for staff] [Bromsgrove] - Full Stack Web Developer

(Gough Bailey Wright) #1

WE’RE LOOKING FOR A TALENTED FULL STACK DEVELOPER!

This is your opportunity to be a part of a vibrant and expanding digital team, in a business that genuinely cares about its people.

Gough Bailey Wright is a full service agency, we’re based in Bromsgrove near to Junction 1 of the M42, and we’re all about team spirit, hard work and customer service. Our clients come in all shapes and sizes as do our websites and digital marketing campaigns.

This is a great role for someone who really cares about the quality of their work and understands the importance of keeping clients happy. Agency experience is essential.

Responsibilities:

• Writing clean, solid code, which stands the test of time, and does not become the legacy nightmare of tomorrow
  • Working with our existing WordPress Installations
  • Getting involved at every stage of the web process, from Scoping, to QA.

Tech we expect you to be confident working with:

• WordPress (you must be very experienced!)
  • HTML & SCSS
  • Javascript
  • PHP
  • Git (via commandline; seriously, don’t apply if you don’t do version control)
  • Task runners such as Gulp and Grunt
  • Mobile-first development

If this is you please send your CV to Michelle Wright on michelle.w@gough.co.uk and tell us why you’re right for the job.

(Matt Andrews) #2

This sounds friendly!

(Stuart Langridge) #3

Heya! What’s the salary for this position?

(Gough Bailey Wright) #4

Haha it’s said tongue-in-cheek though!

(Gough Bailey Wright) #5

Hey Stuart, It’s negotiable and dependent on experience. If you’re interested, my Director Michelle would love to have a chat?

(Steve Pitchford) #6

Google, Jason, Google, the search engine, is your friend here.

I’m pretty confident Stuart is adaquately qualified. I am unqualified to suggest who he was trying to benefit by way of question.

(Stuart Langridge) #7

I myself am not looking for a job, indeed :slight_smile:

But I did think that people who were would find it useful to see the answer to the question, and in particular whether the answer is “we’re not going to say”. I understand why companies do this; I’ve done it myself in the past when running teams or helping people recruit. But it basically means, we can afford to pay up to X but if we can pay you less than X we will do so. As I say, I understand the motive here; it’s important to keep the bottom line of the business as low as possible, especially since that gives you more money to provide a better working environment for the staff you do have, reduces the profit burden required to pay for all the staff, and so on. But, on balance, I think it’s better to declare: the salary is this. It shouldn’t really matter what experience level the applicant is, I think; if someone very experienced applies for this job, they’ll be told they’re overqualified – they won’t be employed to do the job on eight times as much money as some other applicant. It’s what the job is that counts. Hence the question. But, as I say, this is not accusatory; I understand the motives here.

(Richard Wallman) #8

To follow on from this, I thought that “negotiable salary” was massively frowned upon these days by HR departments because of the risk of a discrimination claim. It would be extremely hard to defend against a claim of discriminatory pay differences by saying, “person X asked for more money during the interview”; consider that classic example of a male and a female both employed in the same role but receiving different salaries.I thought that the recommended practice is, “The role is X, the requirements are Y, the pay is Z” - keep it a simple tick-box exercise and nobody gets hurt. :smiley:

It may mean that you end up having to create new defined roles (“Senior Full Stack Web Developer”) but that also helps companies manage staff personal development, as there is a clearly defined “next level” to achieve and a quantifiable method of assessing when somebody has achieved it.

In the same way you wouldn’t ask a customer, “How much do you think we should charge you for it?” we shouldn’t ask applicants “How much do you think you’re worth?”

(Steve Pitchford) #9

IANAL, but practice around salaries and grades is of interest to me - in particular, the relationship between pay ranges, grades and similarities between roles.

Buffer is famous for their transparency - which seems particularly attractive to a tech crowd who ( from personal experience as a developer ) may prefer solving problems to haggling over salary.

https://open.buffer.com/transparent-salaries

They seem to have implemented a graded system whereby roles have pay bands expressed as steps, albeit with a few modifiers - one might imagine a.n. other firm using a similar scheme may have full stack dev level a, full stack dev level b, etc, where full stack dev level e may be better paid than senior full stack level a…

The removal rather than monitoring of management descretion by HR departments is probably a rich source of conversation also.

One thing I do find makes me twitch is the application of “worth” to employees when applied to salaries - human beings are complex in nature, and being an employee is only one of a rich number of facets that could be said to have value - maybe I’m being oversensitive but I try to force myself to use a layer of indirection to ensure the notion of worth or value is placed on the job performed by the individual rather than the individual themselves…

(Daniel Hollands) #11

http://share.foxsoft.co.uk/S4Rj

I think his residence on Wikipedia needs updating.

(Stuart Langridge) #12

huh. It does. If someone edits that, that’d be nice :slight_smile: