[looking for staff] Bromsgrove - Digital Executive - SEM

(Gough Bailey Wright) #1

Digital Executive - Search Engine Marketing (SEM)

We’re looking for a new breed of digital marketer with a real passion for SEM and UX. Someone who understands that effective SEO is about quality content and fantastic user experience. Someone who lives and breathes digital.

We’re a full service agency with a growing digital team, providing marketing solutions right across the digital landscape. We work in varied sectors including; education, leisure, health and fitness, entertainment and retail to name a few.

You’ll be a bright individual with real hands-on experience, who’ll relish being part of a wider digital team. You’ll be able to manage and measure digital marketing campaigns as well advising and implementing organic campaigns.
You’ll take part in client meetings and continue dialogue with them throughout the project.

About the role

• Hands on approach to SEO, including technical, on and off-page, and link building
  • Audit websites with a view to look for opportunities to improve the UX
  • Managing and optimising PPC Search Campaigns for a range of clients
  • Working within WordPress, Umbraco and Magento CMS’s
  • Working with the digital team on new business proposals

About the person

• A born problem solver
  • Demonstrates ability to manage digital marketing campaigns
  • Strong attention to detail, highly numerate and excellent level of English
  • Can use a variety of SEO tools
  • Good grasp of Google Analytics and Google Search Console
  • Can confidently communicate ideas to senior managers and directors

What we’re looking for

• Ideally 2 years’ experience in hands on role
  • Strong knowledge of onsite elements (Canonical Tags, Schema Data)
  • Knowledge of HTML / CSS / PHP / Javascript (beneficial)

Gough Bailey Wright

A full-service, marketing communications agency, and one of only nine IPA (Institute of Practitioners in Advertising) agencies in the West Midlands, we work with a whole range of clients of different sizes across different sectors.

With consistent growth year-on-year, we employ 26 staff across Digital, Creative, PR and Public Affairs.

Job Details
Gough Bailey Wright
Job type: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Salary: Competitive salary depending on experience

(Kevin Carmody) #2

Wonder what a competitive salary is.

Wonder why everyone is so nervous to say.

Wonder if they’re going to do the old “well, how much do you think it is…?” trick.

Should we close down the jobs category?
(Stuart Langridge) #3

While I have a certain amount of sympathy with your point, people looking for jobs are exactly the same. Unless perhaps you’re claiming that if you went for a job, expecting the salary to be, say £40k, and when they said “we were planning to pay £45k” you would say “oh I was only expecting 40, so you can save yourselves five grand”. :slight_smile:

(Kevin Carmody) #4

Ha, it’s negotiations! I’d totally say “oh, I was hoping for 50. can you get any closer?” :wink:

(Stuart Langridge) #5

So does everyone else… but we can hardly blame companies for doing the same thing in the opposite direction, can we? :slight_smile:

(Matthew Steer) #6

I might be crazy, but…

Well, I’ve ended up head of engineering here, and we’ve got a fair sized department with engineers at all levels of experience. If I find a good candidate, I’m going to be making them an offer in line with what they’re worth to us, no matter what they’re hoping for, or currently earning. So if I’ve got engineer A on £50k and engineer B on £45k and this candidate is nearly as good as A then I’m going to be offering him/her somewhere between A and B. Whether he/she says they’re hoping for £35k or hoping for £65k.

Why? Because how can I live with paying someone £10k less than someone they’re better than? Or £10k more than someone they’re not as good as? I mean, that’s just the kind of imbalance that team leaders end up trying to resolve during salary reviews every year. And quite apart from living with myself, word gets around, of course it does.

If you tell me you want £60 then that’s not going to change my offer if I think you’re about as good as our £50k senior. I’m not going to offer you more than he’s on, I’m just going to quietly grumble about the one that got away if you decide £49k isn’t good enough. : )

(Stuart Langridge) #7

Normally, because the finance director says “they only asked for £40k so we’ll pay them that and save money”, and doesn’t listen to arguments about what the right thing to do is. If you’re in a position to make that decision, that’s excellent, especially given that you feel as you do. I think that a whole load of engineering managers are not so fortunate, though…

(Daniel Hollands) #8

My thoughts on this are that it makes sense to pay someone what they’re worth, because you’re more likely to keep them. Sure, you could argue that you’re saving 10k by paying them less, but they’re going to be offered a better paying position somewhere else at some point, and then you’ve got to deal with the hassle of finding someone to replace them, and training them up.

Mind you, this is coming from someone that has changed jobs 6 times since he graduated from university back in 2009 - maybe normal people don’t change job quite so frequently?

(Andy Wootton) #9

There’s an interesting debate going on in the Lean / Agile community about how you reward individuals when they have team responsibilities and you want cooperation rather than competition between team members.

The only consensus so far is that you have to pay people “enough”. Therefore, to get someone to move from one job to exactly the same job, you would appear to need to pay “more than enough” or to find people who feel they are being paid “less than enough”. Adequately rewarded, happy workers don’t move.

(Andy Wootton) #10

I changed job every 18 months in the early part of my career. It was the quickest way to get to the level I thought I deserved. Then I stayed somewhere for 20 years, until the business culture became slightly toxic for someone who thinks.

(Marc Cooper) #11

That’s unusual for a “beginner”, ime. Not so much later on. It’s worth sticking around for two or three years in a service org and the same at a product co. Also, spend time in a large co and a small co. Learning culture is as important, long term, as learning tech. Not just for any “career” you might be following, but for personal well-being. We are all different, we change as people, and our needs change. We are very lucky to be able to pick and choose.

I’ve probably averaged about nine months per role over the past decade – I should sit down and do the graphs over my career. That’s usually the extent of my value to a role, imo, or my tolerance for the environment.

You should pay someone what they are worth to you and that you can afford – they’re often different, sadly. To hell with the market rates. I know most companies don’t do that, which is why many of us end up on contracts where the companies can “justify” it. Madness.

You remunerate by value. You can often ask the team. They’ll tell you.

Yup.

Also, additional rewards have decreasing value. My team at Sun were very well paid. A bonus of two or three grand was meaningless in terms of retention or contentment. It was just more cash. (I mention this because it was my first first-hand experience of the inability of money to motivate. Perhaps why old school sales roles pay a small salary and remunerate on closure value. Doesn’t work in tech, obviously.)

That’s made me a bit sad. You’re clearly a free thinker, so being a lifer seems out of place. But, as I said above, needs must and we all change. At least you won’t do it again :wink:

(Andy Wootton) #12

Unless the team take against someone and decide to use them as a scapegoat for all problems. I’ve seen that 3 times. It is clearly a sign of dysfunctional teams but they happen. I suspect I have a particularly high tolerance to weirdos and always question group think.

I still have my contract company but they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse then kept throwing money at me so I wouldn’t leave, as the stress level increased. That part was fun and I was working with other free thinkers. It only stopped being fun when they started putting managers whose main skill was ‘climbing big trees’ in charge of complex things they didn’t understand and replacing good people with half-trained monkeys.

(Marc Cooper) #13

Yeah, that sucks. I work very hard to create a no-blame culture wherever I land. Most work, inevitably, goes into taming “management”. It’s easier these day with me being older (frustrating, but true). It’s brilliant when it works out, though. So definitely worth a few sleepless nights. Some places, the sociopaths can’t be tamed. I walk from those.

That said, you occasionally come across a very damaged person, and that can be both humbling and sad. I’m not trained to deal with that, so tend to empathy with a cautionary eye to anything manipulative. I filter my thoughts through my own network in those cases, just to keep an eye on things and get another view. I have no idea how folk in Parliament operate with professional psychopaths and those who are deeply sincere side by side.

(Daniel Hollands) #14

Out of the various job changes I’ve had, two of them were because I was deeply unhappy working for the company, and the others were mostly because I’d simply outgrown the role. Almost all of the changes resulted in a pay rise, with the exception of one of the unhappy transitions, in which I took a pay cut to save my sanity.

(Andy Wootton) #15

I agree. That’s why I’m interested in start-ups. I’ve never played that game. Staying somewhere for 20 years is also educational. You see the cycles, until you know what happens next.