Deadline for application: Monday 5th July 2021
Substrakt Health is a technology company working with the NHS to improve primary care services by developing user-centered digital products. You will be joining the company at an exciting time of growth. Our main product, PatientPack is currently supporting 88,000 patients across the UK. We are collaborative and open in our approach, forming partnerships to solve big sector challenges.
We are looking for a friendly, diligent and knowledgeable full stack developer to join our team. You will be working across our portfolio of work, building new products, and maintaining live sites.
At Substrakt Health we aim to foster an ambitious, supportive and collaborative working environment. As well as sending staff to conferences and industry events, everyone has a professional development allowance. We also have several ‘employee perks’ to help ensure working life at Substrakt Health is a happy life, including a £50 per month health and well-being allowance and an additional five days off in order to complete professional development. We value our staff and want to support their ambitions. We offer flexible working, 25 days of holidays, plus an extra day for your birthday.
Main purpose of the role
To create and maintain quality web and native applications that benefit the full range of users who access our products.
We’re a small and friendly company. You’ll be working closely not only in the development team but also with our support, QA, UX and onboarding teams. We ask that everyone helps each other whenever possible which may mean occasionally switching context.
You’ll be helping to debug any issues that arise from support and give our UX designers feedback on tradeoffs with new features with regards to development time and potential unintended impacts on other scenarios in the application.
A typical day
- Attend a daily stand up with colleagues and update on your current work
- Review other developers’ work and provide constructive feedback
- Start the next highest priority feature in the sprint by writing tests and implementing feature requests
- Debug and fix issues that are raised by the support team or QA
These are the languages and frameworks you’ll be using on a daily basis. It would be great if you’ve worked on projects with at least two of these:
- Ruby on Rails (or if you know another MVC framework well)
These are the tools that you might be interacting with on a daily basis. It would be great if you have used at least 3 of the following:
- Docker (preferably with Kubernetes)
- Infrastructure as code (Terraform or any others)
- Amazon Web Services and basic server management
- Experience of working with modern CI/CD and engineering tooling is preferred. We use GitLab extensively
- Good at communicating with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Keen to take on new challenges and learn new skills
- Good at receiving and providing constructive feedback
- Unafraid to ask for help and proactive at keeping team members up to date on progress
- Ability to context switch
- Self-motivated, thorough, diligent and quality-orientated with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Willing to share knowledge and experience across other team areas.
- Organised, pragmatic and flexible
Please get in touch with Misty Michael on firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a covering letter by Monday 5th July.
Please send details of your experience, a link to your blog/portfolio or a link to some code that you’re proud of. You can send us a link for a public repo, or contact us and we can organise looking at a private repo. We promise we won’t share.
If you’re unable to show us an example of your code, we’ll set you a small technical task to test your coding prowess.
Substrakt Health is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of their race, gender, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age.
Please just drop us a line if you have any questions or wish to discuss the role.