Jewellery Quarter Ale Trail

(Stuart Langridge) #1

I’ve just been alerted to the existence of the Jewellery Quarter Ale Trail. Basically, as you can see (by downloading the PDF (PDF?? Honestly??)), it’s a list of the 12 decent pubs in the JQ, in order. I reproduce them below for convenience:

1. THE CHURCH (22 Great Hampton Street, Birmingham B18 6AQ)
  2. THE LORD CLIFDON (34 Great Hampton Street, Birmingham B18 6AA)
  3. THE JEWELLERS ARMS (23 Hockley Street, Birmingham B18 6BW)
  4. THE DROPFORGE (10 Hockley Street, Birmingham B18 6BL)
  5. THE ROSE VILLA TAVERN (172 Warstone Lane, Birmingham B18 6JW)
  6. THE RED LION (95 Warstone Lane, Birmingham B18 6NG)
  7. VERTU BAR (25 Frederick Street, Birmingham B1 3HH)
  8. ROPEWALK (15-20 St Pauls Square, Birmingham B3 1QU)
  9. THE ACTRESS & BISHOP (36 Ludgate Hill, Birmingham B3 1EH)
  10. RECTORY BAR (50-54 St Pauls Square, Birmingham B3 1QS)
  11. THE QUEENS ARMS (150 Newhall Street, Birmingham B3 1RY)
  12. THE SHAKESPEARE (Summer Row, Birmingham B3 1JJ)

Anybody fancy a Christmas pub crawl at some point? :beers:

Jewellery Quarter's Golden Mile - who fancies a drink between Xmas and New Year?
(Daniel Hollands) #2

I can’t guarantee that I’d survive a full 12 pints (or even 12 half pints), but I’m up for giving this a go - when are you thinking?

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

(Stuart Langridge) #3

Cokes are allowed. :smile:

I wonder about the dead zone between Christmas and New Year?

(Daniel Hollands) #4

That works for me. I’m assuming this would be a whole-day thing? Not something we try to cram into an evening?

(Stuart Langridge) #5

I think it’d be nice to have people drop in and out over the course of the day :smile:

(Daniel Hollands) #6

And have someone who can put everyone who survvied the-full-12-pints into a taxi at the end of the day.

(Daniel Hollands) #7

(If this doesn’t end with robots trying to kill us, I’ll be most upset)

(Daniel Newns) #8

sounds like a great idea to me!!!

(Andrew Yates) #9

I’m in! See you then!

(Stuart Langridge) #10

Winner. I’m looking at doing this on Monday 29th, or at a push Tuesday 30th; if you have a big preference, speak now. The idea is to do the twelve pubs over the course of the whole day; start at lunchtime, finish at closing time. Nice, slow, easy drinking, and people can show up when they want and leave when they want, so if you want to pop in and see people between 3 and 5 to boast about your Christmas presents or get away from fixing your family’s computers, that’s great! I’ll post a rough timetable, and tweet while we’re going round. If you’re free for some of the day, come along and join the Birmingham tech scene :slight_smile:

(Daniel Hollands) #11

Monday 29th works for me.

(charles marshall) #12

Sounds good to me, I’ll be free monday & tuesday.

(Andy Wootton) #13

I may be able to nip in for a half. I think my daughter will be going back to That London on the 29th so I could pretend to be a decent human and offer her a lift in to New Street.

(Stuart Langridge) #14

OK! Christmas drinks organised. Monday 29th, afternoon and evening.

http://www.kryogenix.org/jqtechxmas

Drop in at any time, leave at any time, check the website to see where we’ll be :slight_smile: Who’s coming?

(Daniel Hollands) #15

I’ll be along for at least part of it.

(Andy Wootton) #16

The ‘decent human’ thing went horribly wrong. My daughter got ill, her blokey went back on the train without her and apparently it would be ‘bad’ if I abandoned her to go on a pub crawl. People are SO selfish!

(Daniel Hollands) #17

I departed the train after the 4th pub, but I’m interested in knowing who else joined, and what fun I missed out on.

(Tajinder Singh) #18

I joined at the Ropewalk for a coke and then left as the rest moved on to A&B.

(Andy Wootton) #19

I can’t believe you went to Broad Street when The Shakespeare was closed, when you were only a dark, slippery towpath next to a frozen canal away from The Flapper, after 11 pints. OK, maybe I can.

(Stuart Langridge) #20

There was loud impromptu karaoke at Ropewalk, the quiz machine screwed us at the Actress & Bishop, @dnewns went home early, Ebz started halfway through the evening and still drank more than all of us by putting away cocktails like they were going out of fashion, and the Flapper tends to close early and so might only be 11pm on a Monday night :slight_smile: