Issue 4 of HackSpace is out

(Daniel Hollands) #1

I’m surprised I’ve not mentioned it here before, but late last year there was a new maker-focused magazine launched in the UK called HackSpace. Set-up as a local rival to the US Make magazine, it’s produced by the Raspberry Pi foundation, who have their own magazine MagPi (which I’m sure I must have spoken about before).

I mention all of this because issue four was released today, and if you take a look at page 128, you might encounter a familiar name.

I highly recommend anyone buy and/or subscribe to the paper edition, as it’s a really good read, but if your wallet is full of moths you’re able to download a copy free of charge from their website.

Of course, if you’re too lazy to even do that, pop over to the #maker channel on the brumtech slack and you’ll see I’ve cropped and uploaded out the page in question.

(Andy Wootton) #2

I’m no electrical engineer but is that safe and legal? When I was at E.ON we were all given a free travel adaptor. Two days later they came and collected them up again then dumped them all in a skip. One of the guys had found it on his desk and assumed someone wanted it tested. He had them condemned for insufficient insulation.

(Daniel Hollands) #3

It’s no less safe than wiring a plug, IMO. Clearly mains voltage is no laughing matter, but with the proper precautions, there’s no reason I can see why something like this should be illegal.

(Andy Wootton) #4

Perhaps I misinterpreted the photo. There was probably an outer casing missing in the photo. I thought there were internal cores, exposed on the outer surface of the device, which would be like cutting the ‘tails’ too long on a plug flex so the outer insulation didn’t reach the cable grip. That must have been dangerous enough to get moulded plugs made compulsory.

I remember it was normal practice to use BBC Micros with the lid off in the college where I first worked, to help with cooling, and evolution. You lose that advantage with Raspberry Pis.