birmingham.io

ISO Keyboard Layout vs ANSI Keyboard Layout

I’ve noticed over the last few years that it seems to be getting harder and harder to find an ISO layout keyboard.

For those of you who don’t know the difference - here’s a picture to illustrate (the top is ANSI, the bottom is ISO) https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/176/990/dd37cdc28f12f1a890a0f731e5295e1f_large.png

When I had to buy a laptop back in November, it was almost impossible to find one with an ISO keyboard layout (and the store I went to didn’t realise what I was after initially!)

Anyone have an idea why this is happening? And where I can find a decent ISO layout mechanical keyboard ? (I’ve currently got the CMStorm Quickfire XT) - but I’ve used and abused it for a few years now, and am potentially looking for an upgrade.

I had this exact issue when I was in the market for a keyboard a few months ago.

After trying the code keyboard (which was only available in Cherry MX clear caps as an ISO) I’ve ended up with a Ducky One.

I dunno why this is the case, but it’s annoying.

I’m considering the ducky shine 5… as I’ve always tended to like Duckys when I’ve stolen^W borrowed other people’s

I was looking for the shine 5, but was unable to get it with blue caps and a UK layout (same issue with the code keyboard).

When I’m a bit richer I’ll fork out for a custom built WASD one, but for now the one I have will do.

As a user of an Apple full-sized keyboard (on Windows!) I did find the whole "/@ switch a bit weird, but I’ve adapted. It works well for PHP as the " is easier to reach and the @ sign is used less frequently :smile:

Yep, had similar challenges finding the right kind of decal-mapping.This was my solution to it:

@mez could you remap the switches and replace certain keycaps with new ones? If it’s a proper mechanical keyboard, not a damp-toast super-flat one, should be poss, surely?

Oh, keycaps I don’t care about - It’s the layout. The larger enter key, positioning of buttons etc

I know @defsdoor has a keyboard without labels on it. Personally, I rarely look at the keyboard, but I need to on occasion, so I’m not ready for such a thing myself right now.

I cancelled my order for a NexDock last night. The crowd-funder didn’t get enough orders for ISO layout to justify the production costs. I was offered a refund of my $100 down, so took it. I think the shrunken Enter key was the clincher.

Delayed thought: if the UK keyboard has 1 more key than the US one, why does the key need to be smaller?

I’ve been looking at the Apple UK keyboard.

I feel they’ve made bad decisions. I’m fairly sure I use # more than £.
I wanted to show the US keyboard for comparison but Apple links are weird.

Proudly sponsored by Bytemark