birmingham.io

I'm a Ruby girl, in a Python world (sung to the tune of "Barbie Girl")

My intention wasn’t to discourage, but to cast the net wider.

Saw this on Lambda the Ultimate today: C is Manly, Python is for “n00bs”: How False Stereotypes Turn Into Technical “Truths”.

Worth a read, some interesting points.

I guess no-one is writing assembly any more then :disappointed: There’s a whole bunch of books I should probably bin.

Never throw anything away. They might prove useful when people decide to start hand-optimising Java bytecode in HTTP 2. I wish I was joking.

“As far back as 1991”? I think Pascal was being derided at least a decade earlier than that. Real Programmers Don’t Eat Quiche! Type checking was for wimps.

http://web.mit.edu/humor/Computers/real.programmers

It’s actually quite alarming to read this after so many years and realise how little has changed. For Trash-80 read Raspberry Pi.

" in the literature" probably means ‘on usenet’.

I’ve realised I must have seen this by mid-1983. We didn’t have Internet. It would have travelled from MIT via Cambridge Computer Lab and at least one mag tape, being shared between hackers. It may have been my first meme!

Oh, i don’t know. I see a lot of PHP and Javascript that’s more verbose than assembly. The devs could probably learn a trick or two from those books :wink:

Pascal was the first language I developed a real liking for, back in the day. Before that, I’d used COBOL, RPG2, Fortran, and IBM360 and PLAN assemblers (I’ve probably forgotten a couple I dabbled with). It was also my introduction to OO when Borland added OO to their Pascal. Although I learned C, I never understood why anyone would use C++ when Pascal was so much “better”. I’m don’t recall that we called languages elegant, and so on back then. I’ve never had cause to doubt my feelings for C++.

Proudly sponsored by Bytemark