I’m looking for some feedback on the idea of removing the sub-categories from the Meetup Groups category.
Currently there are sub-categories for the following groups:
- West Midlands Ruby User Group run by @elaptics
- West Midlands Java User Group run by @Steve_Pitchford
- Birmingham Coding Sessions run by @guillaumepiot
- Tech Wednesday run yb @MichelleRayner
- Google Developer Group Birmingham run by @fahadayaz
- Birmingham Open Code run by @Jess
- Birmingham Perl Mongers run by @barbie
- Birmingham Entrepreneurs run by @DaveDev
- Meteor Birmingham run by @wprk
And I would be very happy to host them if they were used by the members of the various groups, but they’re not.
Because of this I’m proposing a slight restructuring of that section of the community. Rather than individual categories for each group, the Meetup Groups category itself will be opened to discussion of any and all of the groups which currently exist. This, I’m hoping, will encourage discussion between the groups (maybe leading to co-hosted events, for example), and hopefully encourage members of groups not listed to get involved in the discussions.
Most of the existing content will be moved into this root category, with one or two exceptions. Exception the first being any posts announcing meets - these will be moved into the Events category. Exception the second is any posts asking for help with something - these will be moved into Help & Support.
I’m hoping these changes will help streamline the community, but I don’t want to do anything without first hearing what you have to say about it - so, what say you?