"I think all MVC's are the same"

(Daniel Hollands) #1

Continuing the discussion from Feedback for DevsJob:

I would have to disagree with this. While all MVC frameworks all share ideas, there are huge differences in the way they approach problems.

There are also a lot of differences in how much they do for you. An example of this is the comparison between, say, Yii and CodeIgniter. Yii is very full on, with a lot of conventions and tools designed to make things easier for you, while CodeIgniter provides a very loose framework, and it’s up to you how you want to use it.

I’m also surprised at your thoughts on Laravel being faster to set up than Rails. I’ve very much found the opposite to this. Laravel deliberately leaves lots of gaps for you to fill in with whatever methodology you want to follow - which is great, but requires so much more set-up to get started.

The other thing I’ve found with Rails is that a lot of the gems just work. Throw them in the Gemfile, run bundle install, and go on your merry way. Not like Laravel which has a whole bunch of configuration which needs to be done on top.

Now I’m not talking about which is better, simpy which one lets you get something working quicker, and in my experience this is Rails.

(Colin Smith) #2

I can’t comment fully because I’m not in the Ruby world but I think the term MVC might be a bit ambiguous here, it sounds like what is being discussed is scaffolding type stuff rather than MVC which is a design pattern.

(Daveyon Mayne) #3

So many points to reply to in your statement but I’ll make it short:

Regarding to MVC, they are all the same; the concepts. Facebook agrees.

Let us include the ability to include a user system: Laravel 5 wins. I’m not comparing which framework is faster, I’m taking about what can be used right out of the box without any other bells and whistles. In my views, Rails is PC and Laravel 5 is Mac :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you have yet to, play with Laravel 5 and you may never go back lol

(Nick Banford) #4

I think Laravel in particular is almost a port of asp.net MVC into PHP. Things like the Blade templating syntax and the way it uses migrations are indicators of this. I think MVC frameworks are definitely becoming more similar as developers settle on what is the preferred way of doing things.

Older MVC frameworks I’ve used are clearly different but perhaps it would be better to say they are being homogenised.

(Jim Gumbley) #5

I’m familiar enough with the Ruby eco-system, and seems to me you are dead right to draw the distinction: MVC is being used here to refer to web frameworks rather than the design pattern.

To original poster - Pretty important distinction really, as which framework is best is usually mostly determined by what you want to do (i.e. if you have quite bespoke requirements, a minimal microframework, or shock horror, no framework and just the design pattern might be best) and what the developers are able to use and are happy with.