Humble Game Making Bundle

(Daniel Hollands) #1

Once again I wanted to spend a few moments letting you know about a really good deal over at Humble Bundle. The Humble Game Making Bundle is aimed at anyone that wants to make their own games.

Let the games begin! Sure, playing games is fun, but what if you could easily make your own games? You could have action, romance, weird plot twists and plot holes, and even half-centaur/half-apricot monsters if you so desire. The options are aplenty! All you need is the software to get to work, and that’s what we’ve got here (plus some games too!).

We don’t currently have all that many games makers as members of the community, but with some luck this might change. If anyone picks this up, I’d love to hear how you get on with it.

The Humble Bundle Megathread
(James) #2

I’ve dabbled with RPG Maker on and off since RPG Maker 2000. It’s a great bit of kit, and RPG Maker VX Ace seems to be an improvement on the old formula.

You can do mostly anything you might want to with the GUI, but you can also access the scripts (which are written in ruby!) if you’re feeling hardcore.

Nostalgia, nostalgia everywhere.

(Daniel Hollands) #3

Do you have anything you’d like to show off?

(James) #4

No, but I might in a few months. :slight_smile: I’ve only recently gotten serious about it again, so this humble bundle is well timed.

On that note, I bought the humble bundle, but I already own a copy of RPG Maker VX Ace. If anyone wants a free copy of the Deluxe edition, give me a shout and I’ll send the key your way.

(Daniel Hollands) #5

Part of me really wants to take you up on that offer, but the other part of me knows I’ve already got so much new stuff to learn, that it’ll be a wasted key.

Instead, however, I’d love to see an example of a project in development, to see how the tools work, etc… You mentioned that it uses Ruby? Maybe it could be a future WMRUG?

(James) #6

Maybe! And don’t feel too bad about wasting the key. It’s 75% off on Steam fairly regularly, so goes for less than the price of a takeaway. If you want it, it’s yours. :slight_smile:

Edit: Actually, it looks like I have two keys going from various humble bundles, so I’ve sent you one via PM.

One more to go.

(Daniel Hollands) #7

Thank you - well now I feel obligated to at least install it :smile: :space_invader:

Looking at the tools included in the bundle, the one that interested me the most was the Game Character Hub. Not that I have any artistic talent, or anything in which I could use characters built by the tool (unless I start getting into JavaScript games development, which is a possibility) - I just like it for some strange reason.

(James) #8

Game Character Hub is pretty much the only reason I bought the bundle. :smiley: Certainly looks better than struggling with GIMP.

(Daniel Hollands) #9

You’re not doing anything important today, right? Design me an avatar!!! :smiley: (I’ll be your best friend!!)

(James) #10

I don’t think you want the kind of avatar I would produce associated with you.

(Adré Du Toit) #11

The bundle looks great, but the Mac support looks terrible :frowning: