birmingham.io

Hi, I'm Paul ^_^

Hi Birmingham.io,

I’m Paul, a twenty three year old web developer currently living in the Jewellery Quarter.

I’ve been working with PHP/WordPress for the past two years since University and am currently looking to transition into full stack/JS development (isn’t everyone? :smile: )

I’ve just been to my first Tech Wednesday (I saw the birmingham.io link on the telly), will be going to the next Hydrahack and went to last year’s Canvas Conference. I’m kinda new to getting myself to meet-ups (hello Impostor Syndrome!) so if anyone has any recommendations I’m all ears.

I’m currently online at selfstarter.pt but (as expected) my site is a long way off what I want it to be. I’m a big fan of the IndieWeb movement so this is the direction I’ll be (trying to) take it in. I’d love to find out if there are any other IndieWebbers in Birmingham and potentially set up a meet up.

:wave:

– Paul

Welcome to the show that never ends. :slight_smile: You’d likely like Silicon Canal, which has a reasonable cross-section of people in the Brum tech scene, although it slants a little startup-wise.

1 Like

Hi Paul :smile:

I’m glad at least one person saw (and acted upon) it. I just wish I’d spelt it correctly.

So I’m about as introverted and antisocial as you can get :squirrel:, so much so that for the first meetup I went to (a Birmingham Open Code one, back before the summer) I brought a (non-coder) friend to act as a buffer. They were all so friendly and welcoming, however, that it’s given me a bit (not a lot, but a bit) more confidence for other meetups.

Something else I’ve noticed is you start to see the same people at different events, so you go and talk with them, and as a side effect, they’ll introduce you to whoever they’re talking with, and that’s another person you know, who you may see at yet another event.

It’s this that (partly at least) inspired me to build Birmingham.IO in the first place, the fact that such a community of like-minded people (the sort of people that go to events such as Tech Wednesday, Birmingham Open Code, HydraHack, et al) didn’t have an online hang out.

And again, from my own experience, because of being part of Birmingham.IO, last night I went up and introduced myself to @sil, @DaveDev and @TajinderSD, all of which I had met virally via the site.

(sorry, I’ll stop plugging the site now, but honestly, all the above is true)

Colour me interested - what can I do to help?

1 Like

Also… do it! Good idea! I’d go. :smile:

1 Like

Hey Paul!

Nice to cyber-meet you. I’ve been going to the Birmingham Entrepreneurs meet up for over a year now, and would highly recommend it if you’re into that kind of thing.

If you set up an IndieWeb meet up I’m there!

I’m sure I’ll see you around :smile:

1 Like

Hi Paul,

Welcome! Hope to meet you at a meet-up soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks all for the warm welcome :relaxed:

Gonna give it a try, see you at the next one.

Warning, if you’ve replied to this thread I will be aiming for you at the next meet up I attend :bowtie:

Finish building my website for me please?

On a serious note, I’m not entirely sure at the moment but it’s good to hear from people that they’re also interested. There’s an IndieWebCamp in Brighton on the 6th of September that I don’t think I’ll be able to make so I’d love to put one on. I may make a new thread about this (watch this space) but if anyone’s got any tips from organising their first meet up I’d love to hear/be linked to them.

I’ll see you Wednesday if you’re attending!

MAKE A NEW THREAD AND STOP SPAMMING MINE

I’m glad you did, my sense of humour is wasted on my non-tech friends :satisfied:

I’m no expert at it, but I’m in the process of trying to organise my own event (I should really get back on that), the person you should really talk with is @Jess at one of the Open Code meetups.

In the meantime, I think starting a thread is a great idea - even if only to find out who’s interested in such a thing. (I would be the first to sign up, but I don’t want to look too eager, you know, I like to play it cool :sunglasses:)

Hi there. Are you still interested in starting an indieweb meet up?

1 Like

Hi @davidpeach, welcome to the community, why not come and introduce yourself?

Proudly sponsored by Bytemark