Hacktoberfest Birmingham 2016

(Daniel Hollands) #1

I found this on my travels around the internet, figured I’d share it here:

It’s Hacktoberfest 2016! Let’s celebrate open source!

Our aim:

To bring the Birmingham open source community together, intro eachother to our open source projects and contribute to the community.

What’s Hacktoberfest?

Hacktoberfest—brought to you by DigitalOcean and GitHub—is a month-long celebration of open source software. Maintainers are invited to guide would-be contributors towards issues that will help move the project forward, and contributors get the opportunity to give back to both projects they like, and ones they’ve just discovered. No contribution is too small—bug fixes and documentation updates are valid ways of participating.

(Pandelis Zembashis) #2

Heyo!

This is me :blush:

Do come along share your open source projects that you’re working with, or on!

It’s going to be a introductory evening to contributing to open source with some hack time set asside to dive right in and find projects to work on.

Would be great to have members of the brum io community too.

(Daniel Hollands) #3

Hey @Pandelis, welcome to the community. Why not come and introduce yourself: #introductions

Is this sort of thing (not Hacktoberfest specifically, but things like it) going to be regular, or is this just a one off? I got the impression it was mostly aimed at students?

(Stuart Langridge) #4

I too would like to know whether this is the case…

(Pandelis Zembashis) #5

@LimeBlast , @sil

Primarily yes, it’s main aim is to educate people on the benefits of open source and how to get involved. We’d like to get some brum techies involved to show off some off some of their favourite open source tools, and projects that they use daily or have built! I’m always excited when I browse to a repo on github and see that its actually maintained by a brummie.

TL;DR - Yes.

Hi my name's Pandelis, but my friends get to call me 🐼
(Daniel Hollands) #6

I signed up earlier today

We have some that could do with some love :slight_smile: https://github.com/BirminghamIO

(Rnr_Pauline) #7

Hey! We’re looking at Open Source tools at the November Net Squared
Midlands meetup on Nov 14th at Impact Hub Birmingham. Let’s talk!

Pauline Roche
0797 440 7017

(Stuart Langridge) #8

I’m happy to come and speak at such an event if we can find a gap in my schedule; drop me a line to talk more about that if you’re interested?