Guinea pigs required for database reporting tool

(Ria Blagburn) #1

Hey all!

I’m working with Will Grant and Dan Thompson of D4 Software, and we’re looking for people who use SQL databases (specifically MySQL, PostgreSQL or Microsoft SQL Server) to test out QueryTree - an ad-hoc reporting tool with a drag-and-drop interface.

If you could spare a few minutes to check it out and give us your thoughts, we’d really appreciate it!

Here’s a link to the handy survey so you can do it whenever suits you: QueryTree user testing survey

Thanks!

(Stuart Langridge) #2

I have to register an account just to try it out? :frowning:

(Philip Wattis) #3

I started the survey but quickly abandoned it several questions in because it was forcing me to give answers that are incorrect.

For example:

When undertaking software development projects, do you implement reporting? Yes / No
My answer would be ‘sometimes, depends upon the client requirements’.

Do you allow your clients access to their databases? Yes / No
Same as before.

Do you currently produce reports for your clients? Yes monthly / Yes a few times a year / No
Again, depends upon client requirements, and in some instances this is daily.

Sorry, but at that point I quit as my survey results would be meaningless.

(Andy Wootton) #4

Whose database?

(Philip Wattis) #5

Their database.

(Andy Wootton) #6

@PhilW I wasn’t questioning your answer :slight_smile:

I also ran servers for many years so I’m familiar with the thinking that leads to the question being asked in that way. Users must be protected from themselves. They pay us to look after their data but it is still THEIR data, unless we are Facebook, Google, Microsoft etc. I think Microsoft would still accept that it is our data, but we’ve given them the right to do anything with it that isn’t legally excluded.

(Ria Blagburn) #7

Thanks for taking a look, guys! @PhilW - completely appreciate your point. In case you have the change, I have also got a version of the survey that is just about QueryTree and doesn’t have those introductory questions:

But no worries if you aren’t able to!

(Philip Wattis) #8

Oh, I agree. I wouldn’t deny a customer direct access to their own data, with all the usual caveats. I think a good analogy is the battery on an iPhone. An owner is welcome to change the battery themselves, after all, they own the device, however, should it stop working as a consequence, any fix would be chargeable.

(Jon) #9

My thoughts exactly. I got all excited when I saw the Build Your First Report Now, FREE button, and then found it was a device to get me to register.

I do understand that it is sometimes easier to build a demo requiring a user account, since that’s how the main product works, but allowing people the opportunity to lazily try something with one click is really just removing barriers between the customer and the product.

(Stuart Langridge) #10

Couldn’t agree with @halfer more. If you want me to use the product, fine, sign up. If you want me to try out the product and give you feedback… I’m not gonna register another user account and be on the mailing list forever :slight_smile:

(Ria Blagburn) #11

@halfer @sil No problem - we’re making amends to both the app and the sales site as a result of user feedback, and I completely agree that it would be good to have a play before committing to signing up for an account. Thanks guys!