Full Stackie Rant!

(Daveyon Mayne) #21

I know what you mean. For me, I went a bit too far.

(Richard Cunningham) #22

I agree with @stevejalim it’s very easy to get carried away building using all the shinny new stuff, but there’s no business reason to do it.

If you want to build a business, I’d look at the lean startup model and find the minimum viable product that tells you if people want this. If it’s the same idea as you mentioned in the past, then that could well be LaunchRock page or a Google form TBH. If this is viable business, then time to market is important, particularly as you could be receiving revenue whilst you build a proper solution or even paying a developer.

If you just want to learn the latest tech, I’d just build a little thing that doesn’t matter, like a todo list app. Though expect to throw most of these away, when you decide you don’t like Go, Rust, Swift or whatever.

(Matt Machell) #23

This is the hardest lesson, but probably the most valuable, you get from working any length of time in this industry. Restraint and critical thinking are powerful tools. Just stepping back and asking “who benefits from this?” That’s such a simple but useful ability.

That and filtering out all the noise from empty vessels.

(Daveyon Mayne) #24

I did got carried away by far. I forgot to listen to you all regarding a simple MVP that functions the way the app should. But dear me, converted the entire thing to JS lol.

I’m no longer interested in a side/test project, I’m starting a business. I’ve done many todos lol in the past. This time, I’ll focus on vanilla rails and get things going.

(Ben Paddock) #25

Some great advice given by others here. I hope your project works out one way or the other. Just to add to this, (from personal experience) over-engineering kills business. Users never see the benefit and it only hurts your wallet.

(Daveyon Mayne) #26

Best advices too. It’s going well as Im not focused anymore about the javascript parts as yet. Im actually in love with the app now hahaha. Hope to have a demo ready in March.

Job Application Tracker for Contractors
(Matthew Steer) #27

Restraint and critical thinking are powerful tools.

That’s a great quote, @Matt. I think I’m going to shorten it to Restraint is a powerful tool and start using it frequently. : )

(Andy Wootton) #28

I went to Web Staffs last night and there was a presentation and some questions on JavaScript. I thought I was going to the JS Meetup tonight so I’ve been doing some reading to find out what NodeJS was before I installed it. That turned into trying to make a list of the various frameworks and libraries. Wow, what a mess! I also listened to an Uncle Bob video where he moaned about why we keep reinventing things instead of fixing them BUT I learned that Node.js is a server-side framework and based on Chrome’s V8 JavaScript engine.

Is this how ChromeOS works? I’ve always assumed that it was just the Chrome browser running on a minimal Linux desktop on a kernel but is V8 running as a server on Linux too? Is that the ChromOS magic and could the same be done on any Linux box?

Also: just as Clojure runs on the JVM could ClojureScript run on V8 or Node.js instead? You’d then have ClojureScript running on server-side and client-side JS. I’m trying very hard to not ever need to write JavaScript directly. (Scuttles off to find notes from @paulspencerwilliams ClojureScript talk)

(Daveyon Mayne) #29

:sweat: Majority of my rails app is react. Damn, where is the vanilla in that? Oh well.

(Andy Wootton) #30

I found this quite helpful. I don’t think the title is accurate. http://blog.andrewray.me/reactjs-for-stupid-people/

(Daveyon Mayne) #31

I only use React just because I can easily reuse components and pass in props, just like reusing a method with args.

The name “Flux” is a pretentious barrier to understanding.

JS will mad you, I have no time for that. I remembered wasted, or gaining knowledge, about JS: Meteor, Polymer etc. I hate to be a front end guy right now. The more I learn, it’s the more I realise jquery, or simple vanilla js, can do what you want.

(Marc Cooper) #32

I’ve played with elm recently and found myself enjoying frontend dev for probably the first time ever.

(Paul Williams) #33

Kind of. Have a look at Bootstrapped ClojureScript which partially addresses this concern although eliminating the JVM is not a purpose.

If the aim is less to eliminate the JVM, and more to share code between the client / server, then have a look at reader conditionals introduced in 1.7. I’ve previously witnessed an awful lot of pain with people trying to share OO code between server and client or provider and consumer, but with the smaller (function) units, and deliberate abstraction of state, maybe this will work okay in a lisp. Think sharing small generic functions rather than large complex, core namespaces.

ClojureScript kicks ass as does Elm on the front end. Elm is stripped back with amazing exception messages and strong types, but it’s not a lisp :wink:

(Marc Cooper) #34

Which is a plus for me. Ditto elixir. Great move afoot lately catering for all tastes.