Full colour photos from a century ago

(Daniel Hollands) #1

I was going to post this as a Friday Link, but I think this is awesome enough that it deserves it’s own thread.

This is just one of 35 images presented on a botson.com article titled Russia in color, a century ago. The article explains:

[The photographer] used a specialized camera to capture three black and white images in fairly quick succession, using red, green and blue filters, allowing them to later be recombined and projected with filtered lanterns to show near true color images.

Personally, I think this is amazing. It’s nice to see history represented in full colour, rather than what we often visualise as an era when everything was black and white or sepia.

(Richard Cunningham) #2

Very Interesting, I notice that they are available directly on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/72157635304497362/ if you don’t want to either login or use the developer tools to remove the covering div.

(Daniel Hollands) #3

They look even better without the cropping on the Flickr account :smile:

(Andy Wootton) #4

That room looks a bit like the workshop at the #JQ Museum.

I went to Lacock Abbey in WIltshire on Saturday and stood at the window where Henry Fox Talbot took his famous first negative photograph. He didn’t actually invent photography but did invent the negative that allowed duplication. I took a photo with my DIGITAL phone and realised that the age of the analogue negative is over and it won’t be long before people can’t understand the importance of his contribution.

They claimed he was inspired to develop his process because, unlike the rest of his family, he couldn’t draw. Interestingly, his daughters continued to paint to a very high standard. He was involved in a couple of patent wars too.

(Richard Cunningham) #5

Also, these are on show at the Warwick Arts Centre (until March 7th) http://www.warwickartscentre.co.uk/whats-on/2015/close-and-far-russian-photography-now/ - though it was much the same as viewing them online TBH.

(Daniel Hollands) #6

Seeing as the exhibition is as close as Warwick, I think it might be fun to head down there en mass (then find a nice pub for a spot of afternoon tea).

Who’s up for that? I think Saturday the 21st would be a good date for it.

Bad Voltage live stream, the Wellington, 21st Feb
(Richard Cunningham) #7

Actually Warwick Uni is on the edge of Coventry, which is nearer to Birmingham than Warwick is anyway.

(Daniel Hollands) #8

If anyone wants to join me, my current plan is to watch Live Voltage, then head to the exhibition after (then find a nice pub somewhere in Warwick and hang out for the rest of the day).

(Andy Wootton) #9

It really isn’t anywhere near Warwick. There might be something on at the Arts Centre though and bars with student prices