Friday Links on Fridays

(Andy Henson) #1

So in our WMRUG irc channel (#wmrug on freenode) we seem to have started a bit of a tradition of “Friday Links”, random links to interesting or funny stuff around the web.

Today’s been a bit quiet so I thought that maybe we should also start the tradition here too.

Let’s get the ball rolling with this one I came across yesterday.

Full colour photos from a century ago
SSL Issues with birmingham.io in Chrome?
(Andy Henson) #2

And for a slightly more on-topic link I submit:

and should be a canonical answer to “why can’t you just…”

Can anyone tell me about pow?
(Daniel Hollands) #3

I have to thank @RobWeller for this one:

(Andy Henson) #4

If you’re going to post that. I demand that you also post “Too Many Cooks” - since I have endured it, I think it’s only fair that the rest of the Birmingham tech community should too.

(Daniel Hollands) #5

You can specifically blame @elaptics for this one:

Then, once you’ve watched the above, watch this:

(Andy Henson) #6

I’m not sure how you can blame me for a video you inflicted on us in the WMRUG channel :smiley:

(Daniel Hollands) #7

I was content to leave it in the WMRUG channel, you’re the one that wants to see it spread beyond this enclosure :stuck_out_tongue:

(Daniel Hollands) #8

I guess I should share this too:

(Andy Henson) #9

If you’re going to post that again, I demand that you also post “Too Many Cooks” again :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Daniel Hollands) #10

HA! Oh god, it’s been a long day. Well, it’s worthy of a repost, even if it’s only 5 hours later.

(Daniel Hollands) #11

I posted this to #wmrug earlier, so now it’s time to share with you:

I found this a fascinating read.

(Daniel Hollands) #12

It’s pointless but cool, it’s a Friday Link:

http://whatcolourisit.scn9a.org/

(Daniel Hollands) #13

Here’s another:

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/smart-phone-dumb-users/

I think I’m one of the Antisocial Networkers.

(Daniel Hollands) #14

I’m Batman!

(Daniel Hollands) #15

Here’s my Friday Link for this week: The Open Source Report card. Simply put your GitHub username in, and get a report on your GitHub activities… here’s an extract from mine:

Daniel Hollands is a serious Ruby coder (one of the 24% most active Ruby users) who loves pushing code. Daniel is a fulltime hacker who works best in the morning (around 11 am).

Daniel’s developer personality is very similar to pkpp1233’s but pkpp1233 speaks fewer languages. There is also an uncanny similarity between Daniel’s activity stream and those of Trần Xuân Trường, vdaubry, baldurrensch, and wojtekmach.

It seems like Daniel is—or should be—friends with Omar Qureshi. With this in mind, it’s worth noting that Omar speaks fewer languages. There is also an obvious connection between Daniel and Viktor Vasilev, Vipul A M, Vinta, and stuartlangridge.

These days, Daniel is most actively contributing to the repositories: LimeBlast/rails-tutorial-sample-app, LimeBlast/larabook, LimeBlast/acceptance-testing-in-ruby-with-cucumber, LimeBlast/prijs, and LimeBlast/ood-in-ruby-solid-principles.

(Daniel Hollands) #16

Here’s an early Friday Link (via @elaptics)

(Y’all can post links yourselves if you want)

(Daniel Hollands) #17

(Daniel Hollands) #18

(Andy Henson) #19

(Daniel Hollands) #20

It’s not Friday, but this is too good to wait: