Free Birmingham WIFI Hotspot - Maps

(Andrew Brett) #1

Good afternoon all:
First post so hopefully someone will see a use.
I have searched and tried using all available maps to try and get a complete picture of all the free wifi hotspots in Birmingham.
Using the Maps on my windows phone I can see icons for all free wifi spots near me, however i would like to produce a Map either in ARCGIS or Mapinfo or even just have a PDF with all the free wifi hotspots.
Does anyone have one or know who maybe working on something like this? Thank you in advance…

andrew

Hi, I'm Tim Wilson from Code Club
(Andrew Brett) #2

I have managed to obtain a txt list of Birmingham WIFI Hotspots, soon as i have them in a workable fashion i am happy to share if you want them… Just drop me a line…

(Daniel Hollands) #3

Hi @andrewbrett, welcome to the forum.

A Wifi map of Birmingham is something that I’ve heard a few other people mention, but so far as I know no actual progress has been made on it - so maybe you’re the person that will make it a reality.

One of the better ideas I heard was that of working on existing data (such as from Open Street Map, or whoever else might supply such info) and putting effort into making sure it was up to date. A thankless task, but one that lots of people would benefit from. I much prefer this approach to the one which involved loading all the data into a propriety system.

Of course the problem with the OSM option is that it was rejected as a proposal, and I’ve not yet found any alternatives, so maybe a propriety system and/or open API is the way to go.

What does everyone else think?

(PS, if you wanted, you could do this as a Birmingham.IO project)

(Andrew Brett) #4

I have an esri / mapinfo map now showing 175 point locations where free wifi is enabled. However i did speak to BT and they said the same issue about dynamic locations. As locations can be turned on and off at any point a static map is not much use. They suggested their own BTWIFI app finder. I explained thats not what i wanted as this was for a project at work. So if anyone does want a copy of the .shp / MapTAB files just shout. Happy to ping over… Andrew

(Andy Wootton) #5

Sounds a great idea for tourists as well as locals looking for a temporary workplace. If it could automatically update a ‘last-connected to’ and ‘last-failed’ dates then there would be the beginning of reliability data. It sounds like something that might be funded by local advertising, as it could know people’s likely future location.

(Jack Wearden) #6

I’m 3 months late, but I’m also a contributor to www.commitcoffee.com - you can file PRs and add coffee shops there for places where you can get coffee and WiFi.

(Gav) #7

I’m probably around 18 months late since I originally had an idea for Speed Testing free WiFi around Birmingham (including the places you should probably buy some food/drink as well as using their wifi).

This data would inevitably get mapped, so there is crossover with this topic.

So - I’m committing to returning to do this project, and I’ll write a proper Project Idea topic for it tonight.
Help required = Peer Pressure to get it done :wink: and links to any software / code which can pick up all the details about the WiFi network you are connected to.
I’m not wanting to sniff passwords or do anything illegal of course, so there might be some fine lines to not cross…

• Gav

(Andrew Brett) #8

I located all the wifi spots I could and built a map, however these were open spots, not password locations.
Attached what I found – plotted in esri…

Andrew Brett MIHE, AIIRSM
Drainage/Resilience/Highways Senior Technical Officer

CSCS – White Professional and Double Black Card Holder
SMSTS – Site Management Safety Training Scheme
CSCS Reg. 02346732 & 02286341 – IIRSM Reg. 303152 – IHE Reg. 0034485
[cid:image002.jpg@01D0EBC7.1F3969E0]

Drainage / Resilience
Birmingham City Council
1 Lancaster Circus
Queensway
Birmingham
B4 7DQ
(for Sat-Nav use B4 7DJ)

Tel: 0121 4644 452 Mob: 07912 793379
[Email_footer_blank_419x75]

(Gav) #9

Attached? Something seems to have gone wrong there.

I see there is an upload button for these forums, so I presume you can attach files to a post?
Do you have a web URL to see the same information (that’d be easier to share in future).

Be good to work with you on this Andrew. Do you know Stuart Lester? Look him up in your council systems if not - he has open WiFi maps (I do too, but not on the computer I’m on right now)

(Daniel Hollands) #10

Sorry @andrewbrett, the attachment you sent via email didn’t get uploaded to the forum. Depending on what format it is, you might need to share it via Dropbox or something.

(Andrew Brett) #11

Here are the files

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8e_RQHma5vnNVVPSThJRnJHLWs&usp=sharing

(Andrew Brett) #12

I Stuart, I am the one who supplied him the maps… :slight_smile:

Andrew Brett MIHE, AIIRSM
Drainage/Resilience/Highways Senior Technical Officer

CSCS – White Professional and Double Black Card Holder
SMSTS – Site Management Safety Training Scheme
CSCS Reg. 02346732 & 02286341 – IIRSM Reg. 303152 – IHE Reg. 0034485
[cid:image004.jpg@01D0EBCB.68EB1670]

Drainage / Resilience
Birmingham City Council
1 Lancaster Circus
Queensway
Birmingham
B4 7DQ
(for Sat-Nav use B4 7DJ)

Tel: 0121 4644 452 Mob: 07912 793379
[Email_footer_blank_419x75]

(Gav) #13

@andrewbrett Ah cool. Well I’ll take your link as the “latest version” to what I already had then.
FYI I previously found that sitting in Pret on New Street was a good location to sit connected to the Birmingham Free WiFi.
The best speeds I found (>=10Mbps) were in Wetherspoons in Paradise Forum - sadly now closed of course.

Did anybody build an online map of the data you have? Did it make it onto http://www.birmingham.gov.uk somewhere?
What happened to your ‘Council Project’ ?

(Andrew Brett) #14

The data went into the Resilience works, not sure if Stuart has plans to open the data onto the BCC website. I think however the BCC owned WIFI zones are now mapped and available.

(Gav) #15

Whats the latest plans @stu_lester ? :slight_smile:

(Marc Cooper) #16

This is something I plan to add to my fndout.com project. Perhaps now is the time :dizzy_face:

I’m definitely going to add a “wifi here” option to places/venues, but perhaps a wifi filter for the map would work too. I can add an “Add wifi hotspot” form so folk can add ones they find.

FYI, my plan is to age information (because all data withers), so I’d probably add, say, a traffic light system. green = someone used within past week; amber = past month. Something like that.

(Marc Cooper) #17

Is the hotspot data available in something like comma-delimited format?

(Andrew Brett) #18

I have dropped the CSV / XLS files into the link above…

(Andrew Brett) #19

Also sorry guys, i am now of to America, so wont be able to respond for a while…

(Andy Wootton) #20

New Street Station is to have wi-fi and all you have to surrender is permission to read your packets so that advertising can be fired at you. Apparently this is the future and you can’t stand in the way of progress. @OpenRightsBrum plan to engage in this debate, with the plan of diverting attention to ‘the snooper’s charter’.