Finding a tech co-founder

(Will Parker) #1

Hey guys, I think most of your know I’m working on a web app for the recruitment sector based out of our talks about how useless recruiters are here and I went on to describe my initial idea here.

I’ve started development on the project and things are ticking along fairly nicely but I’m making progress far slower than I’d like. I’m looking for a developer skilled in or willing to learn Laravel and Angular to come on board to help me develop the app further. Is there anyone on this board who fancies a challenge and the opportunity to shake up the recruitment sector and stick it to the greedy ****ers.

So far I’ve done all the authentication stuff and built the forms to collect the users data and save it (along with localization and a decent audit trail). The next step is the CV generator stuff and the sharing and privacy features.

(Marc Cooper) #2

If you’d said Phoenix and Elixir, I might have been in :smile:

I worked on a recruitment “start-up” a few years ago. I think everyone wants to change the system, but no-one wants to change. We all know that CVs are a bit crap as a recruitment tool, but everyone in the system keeps using them.

(Musing an aside: perhaps CVs are of diminishing importance wrt experience.)

Then you have the whiteboard coding nonsense, and the Google “give me a circular linked list with matchsticks” weirdness.

The “disruptor” here is the one who can match the bizarre behaviour of recruiting companies. Did I say bizarre? I meant unique identifying attributes or something like that. Match those companies with similarly inclined individuals.

Matching employees is about personality traits, plus a bit of relevant experience or a little interest. Unless they want interns.

Recruitment is weird.

(Richard Wallman) #3

I did see a job advertisement recently for a Linux SysAdmin role that listed an education requirement of “some secondary education”, which really surprised me - the norm for IT jobs has pretty much always been a degree. This would agree with your musing that organisations are starting to realise that people may have sufficient “unofficial” experience to do a job.

I also think that CVs are becoming less relevant - people are sharing more about their lives these days, and employers (smaller ones, at least) are becoming more savvy with regards to finding and approaching people directly rather than relying on agencies. A quick meetup over a coffee to make sure you’re not dealing with a total axe-murderer, a short trial period to make sure they’re not just bluffing their tech skills and that they can mix will with the rest of the team, and you’ve either found your person or you need to continue the search. I certainly know I’ve not had to produce a CV for anyone for many, many years…

(Andy Wootton) #4

Or it could be a technical de-skilling of middle managers so they can’t tell when someone knows what they’re talking about, so they go for the cheapest. I thought a recent interview had gone well but the feedback was that I hadn’t given evidence to demonstrate my skills. There was a panel of HR, a techie & a manager so there was the expected mix of good and meaningless questions. I asked for feedback when I didn’t get it. It was an Agile job. I’d been asked if we’d used user-stories and replied “yes”, expecting a detailed follow-up question; none came. They apparently expected me to demonstrate that I knew what a user-story was. If I hadn’t known, it would have been ridiculous to apply for such a senior job.

I got a call from someone who knows me yesterday but I’ve been asked to send a CV to pass on. CVs aren’t dead yet.