birmingham.io

Fake invoices (which are actully purchase orders)

Has anyone ever received an email like this?

It looks a lot like a domain name renewal invoice, right? Well hopefully your spidey sense is tingling right now, because this is in fact a purchase order for SEO services on said domain. It even very specifically includes a date, suggesting that your “domain seo registration” is going to expire, which is obviously phrased in such a way as to suggest the domain will be lost if this payment isn’t made. If you look at the very bottom of the email, you know, the bit that’s in light grey text on a white background, you can see it says:

THIS IS NOT A BILL. THIS IS A NOTIFICATION OFFER. YOU ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO PAY THE AMOUNT STATED UNLESS YOU ACCEPT THIS NOTIFICATION OFFER

Which is their get out clause for anyone that falls for the scam and actually sends them money.

I’m sure this isn’t a new thing on the internet, it’s not even a new thing in general, back in the late 90s, the company I was working for used to get “invoices” like this for paper orders - very expensive paper at that.

Anyway, I’m sure you lot are wise to scams like this, but it can’t hurt to be reminded that scum like this are out there, and you need to be vigilant.

1 Like

I’ve had real mail like that, for domain renew (which of course is actually domain transfer to their company).

2 Likes

Yeah, we’ve (and many of our clients) have had variations of these over the years, it seems to be much less common now than it was - at least, we’ve not had one for a few years now but I wonder how many people used to fall for them?

That’s nothing. I have two registered trademarks with the IPO and ever since I’ve been getting letters to pay huge sums to renew the trademarks but the IPO says they are fakes.

Proudly sponsored by Bytemark