Does anyone want to do the Introducing Robotics FutureLearn course with me? (It starts on Monday)

(Daniel Hollands) #1

Is anyone interested in taking the Introducing Robotics course on FutureLearn with me?

I’ll admit that I’m not entirely sure the content of the course, but it’s the first of a three-part program in robotics, running for a total of 9 weeks.

The courses are free, but if you’re so inclined, upon completion of the course you can purchase a certificate.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, get yourself signed up above, and let me know. Cheers :slight_smile:

(Daniel Hollands) #2

Back just before Xmas, I completed the first leg of this program. It was simple enough, just some short video lectures on robotics and society and how they’re changing the world… fair enough.

I have a feeling the second lot, which starts next week, is going to be a touch more involved, however. I just an email from them saying:

Before the course starts, you may find it helpful to brush up on analytic geometry and linear algebra (including points, vectors, matrices, matrix-vector and matrix-matrix multiplication, and linear transformations).

Uumm, huh?

It goes on to suggest looking for courses on those subjects at Kahn Academy - which is great and all, but I’m not sure where I’d even start looking.

I’ve got a feeling I’ve, once again, bitten off more than I can chew.

(Andy Wootton) #3

I don’t think it’s as scary as it sounds https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_algebra

Points in 3D space, (x,y,z) and matrix multiplication. I think in this context, a vector is just a matrix with 1 row or column.